Portable high seat

Roamer

Im sure someone has asked this before but if so I can't find it!
Can anyone recommend a truly portable lean-to high seat?
Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice.

There are basically two options: the X3M1 Alu-1 (lean-to) and Alu-2 (free-standing) seats on one hand, and the Bushwear Panther, on the other.

The Hercules is essentially a Panther copy with shoulder straps, a ratchet strap and a back rest thrown in (making it a better buy at the moment).

You can add to the Panther (and probably the Hercules too) with a height extension (Cub) and a free-standing kit (Den), but carrying these, especially the Den, makes the seat less then truly "portable" IMO. By contrast, the legs for the X3M1 Alu-2 are lighter and shorter and so much more easily carried.

It's also worth noting that the seat of the Panther is held at the correct angle by no more than a flat metal hook, and that this is easily damaged and not easily replaced (Bushwear don't carry spares). If the hook gets broken the seat cannot be used except by using a strap to prevent the seat section scissoring back on the ladder section.

I'd therefore go for one of the X3M1 seats, and probably paying the extra £50 for the Alu-2, which has a backrest as well as a free-standing facility. You may not feel you need the latter yet, but IME sooner or later it'll come in very handy indeed.

HTH

Last edited:
Can't fault my Panther, although I accept the previous posters comment on the seat hook - but it seems robust enough. I have the full kit with the extension and the free standing kit and it allows me to do whatever I need - an extremely flexible kit and well worth the money - the X3M1 kit seems similar (wasn't available when I purchased mine) - I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the investment, whichever you choose.

E t R

I've had the forerunner to the Panther for many years now and find it really good, bought mine from Reeves before Bushwear started selling Panthers. (BushWear: BushWear 'Panther' Folding Highseat - £299 offer on the full kit: seat, extension and legs, been this price for a long time now)

I take the comment on the seat hook but you'd have to give it some stick to break it, I did get a second bracket for use with the freestanding legs kit.

One BIG, BIG advantage over the other seat is that the seat bears on the tree at shoulder level meaning your centre of gravity is kept low and I only use a tree strap with the extensions on, the X3MI seat looks inherently unstable with the tree bracket at bum height! Now sitting on it rather than in it would make me nervous of moving!! I've stood on the seat of mine to trim some branches above it, don't think I'd do that on the X3Mi one.

The trick is to make sure the 'teeth' of the tree bracket actually make contact on both sides and the feet ar square to avoid the 'wobble' when you move, although this isn't desperate and soon over... just teaches you to move carefully! I'll tie it to the trunk if i can't get a solid contact though.

I also carry a stick to put across the rails to act as a brace and also avoid leaning too far forward (ie minimal movement). To take a shot at your left or right limit I put a foot down a rung allowing me to swivel and take what is effectively a standing shot off the rails. (A quick look at the other seat suggests this might not be so easy with the angled rail)

As for portability..... seat over one shoulder, rifle over the other, stick, foxpro etc etc. Have also carried the extensions and the legs on occasion.

Good for me.

atb
FBW
:cool:

One BIG, BIG advantage over the other seat is that the seat bears on the tree at shoulder level meaning your centre of gravity is kept low and I only use a tree strap with the extensions on, the X3MI seat looks inherently unstable with the tree bracket at bum height! Now sitting on it rather than in it would make me nervous of moving!! I've stood on the seat of mine to trim some branches above it, don't think I'd do that on the X3Mi one.

The Panther certainly makes you feel more secure, partly, I think, because the seat is further from the tree, but both can be set up rock solid with a ratchet strap. I'd certainly never trust the Panther to the bit of green cord supplied with it. When it comes to using the seat in free-standing mode, however, I'm happier with the X3M1 one, largely -again- because the hooks are crucial to the Panther's stability, and I'm too conscious that if either hook failed a catastrophic collapse would follow. Whenever I use the Panther like this I take a belt-and-braces approach and run a strap through to keep everything in place.

To take a shot at your left or right limit I put a foot down a rung allowing me to swivel and take what is effectively a standing shot off the rails. (A quick look at the other seat suggests this might not be so easy with the angled rail).

The Panther is better for shots to the side, but they're not a problem with the X3M1, you just put a foot down onto the next rung and lean forward to get the necessary support from the shooting rail.

As for portability..... seat over one shoulder, rifle over the other, stick, foxpro etc etc. Have also carried the extensions and the legs on occasion.

The Panther on its own is fine, agreed, and the Cub can be carried easily in a free hand or bungeed to the folded ladder, but add the legs and it's a lot less fun.

The design of the X3M1, which places the seat at the top of the ladder, instead of 2/3 of the way up, means that a height extension isn't needed, and the way the free-standing legs fit the seat means that lighter alloy and shorter sections can be used, resulting in a free-standing kit that is considerably easier to carry.

Wow, more info than I could have imagined! A real big thank you for all of you who took the time to help, it really is appreciated. I will keep you posted as to what I buy and if I have any luck when using.

I have the Panther, Cub and Den and love it. Panther is easy to move on its own, but add the other two and it gets a bit awkward. One thing to mention, I ordered it from Bushwear and waited 2 months for the Cub extension to arrive. They did keep me informed via email and didn't charge but it was a tad inconvenient at the time.

I ordered it from Bushwear and waited 2 months for the Cub extension to arrive. They did keep me informed via email and didn't charge but it was a tad inconvenient at the time.

I had the same experience - twice with Panthers and accessories, and again with other items. Ever since Bushwear went high-profile (high-volume?) it seems they've had problems managing their supply chain. They also use hopeless couriers. I still buy from them, though, because otherwise their service is excellent and their catalogue is always full of goodies!

Hi, Has anyone used the scotlite ultraportable, I know they have stopped production , but just wondered if they were any good .Was thinking of making somthing similar from a set of combo ladders? High seat.

Back