Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 fmj

.243 fmj

a friend of mine is looking to get into shooting and requires something he can use on a range as well as for fox and the occassional stalk. he isnt a big fan of recoil and found my moderated .308 a bit much and is now thinking of a .243 if he can find fmj ammunition for range work. i know you can buy the bullets but does anyone know if its possible to buy a complete round or will it be a case of having to reload? if anyone has a suggestion to another calibre i shall pass it on to him but it must be something he can buy target ammunition for. cheers

hi hps target rifles in gloucester. try web site had some 90 grain in 243 no to bad

thanks for the heads up, ill have a look. fingers crossed

90grn Sako & Lapua are widely available in .243. fmj . Ballistic Tip wise I have found Federal 95 grn particularly accurate. Reloading I use 90grn Berger fmj and 90 grn Nosler ballistic tips. I find my .243 prefers 90-95grn loads with for whatever reason 100grn Sako being particularly inaccurate

thanks for that tim, i shall let him know so he can get started out.

Just a thought have you considered the 6.5x55?

FMJ's amminition is easier, most likely, to get in this and of decent grade and the Swede is famous for it's pleasant shooting attributes and soft recoil. Equally at home on the target range and competition as well as the field as I said just a thought.

That might be a thought. I recently shot some surplus Swede FMJ. It was darned accurate and 100% reliable from my Model 96 Target.~Muir

i did suggest it to him but i think hes worried about recoil in most things.....were at the range today so ill send him on a begging mission to try others peoples rifles out. thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    i did suggest it to him but i think hes worried about recoil in most things.....were at the range today so ill send him on a begging mission to try others peoples rifles out. thanks again
    tell him i will put the 243 barrel on the blaser when he comes down with you on your visit .
    he wont want to use another rifle after grassing his first deer with that

regards pete .

hahaha yeah but pete, he will be a sulky little sod when he realises he cant sell his soul to fund the darkside!!! besides which im thinking about it hahaha