Thread: Howa 243

Howa 243

As the title suggests I have a Howa 1500 varmint in .243 with the wooden thumb hole stock. When the mod is on, it truely is a huge and heavy piece of kit. I really do not want to get rid of it, but because of its bulk I am thinking of doing so. My requirements are quite modest, I dont shoot at long range, its used for deer and fox but its used much less than it actually deserves because I can hardly lift it out of the cabinet.

So I am going to start by cutting down the barrel. Its a standard 24 inch barrel and I wonder if someone could guide me as to how much I can cut off of it before it sarts to have genuine real world effect on its ability to do the job I ask of it.

By the time you've spent money trying to shave weight off it and lets be honest there is a limit to how much you can lose - you'd probably be better off selling it on and getting something that's lightweight to start with?

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Had the same rifle in 308, shoots like a dream weighed a ton. I had the barrel chopped 6" (its 18" now) and sold the stock and fitted one from PSE (Edi on this site). Shoots even better now and weigh a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    Had the same rifle in 308, shoots like a dream weighed a ton. I had the barrel chopped 6" (its 18" now) and sold the stock and fitted one from PSE (Edi on this site). Shoots even better now and weigh a lot less.
    Hi Rooster. When I took the stock off I was surprised that it seemed to weigh a lot less than I thought. What was that actual difference in the weight do you know.

Grant, funny, I had this conversation last night with my stalking buddy who has exactly the same rifle. We were stalking in Wicklow (steep and rough) earlier in the week and he was really starting to hate his rifle. My 260 is like a 4wt fly rod in comparison.

I told him he needs to do three things. Cut the barrel to 20", replace the ASE with a Roedale or a cnm4 and toss the laminate stock and replace it with one of Edi's PSE stocks.

The rifle is intrinsically sound and very accurate. It is just too long and heavy in it's current form; as are virtually all factory rifles unless they come pre-preped with a short threaded barrel.

Mind you, I would not go shorter than 20" for a 243.

Happy Christmas ....
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 23-12-2011 at 23:12.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    By the time you've spent money trying to shave weight off it and lets be honest there is a limit to how much you can lose - you'd probably be better off selling it on and getting something that's lightweight to start with?

Tom
    To be fair, that is not had advice. A replacement stock and a quality barrel chop and recrown and rethread is going to cost 600.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Hi Brian. Bloody hell 600. Mind you I was looking at a K95. Was wondering about getting a drill, a saw and sandpaper on the existing stock just to see what i could do first.

The thing is, its a bloody good rifle.
    Last edited by howa243; 24-12-2011 at 16:21.

i saved around 2 1/2lb cost around 450 for the stock and chop at the time but sold my laminate for 100 so 350ish. Well worth it, i would not have got much trading in and do not rate Tikkas or other similarly priced rifles as much as my Howa so it was a easy decision.