Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fox hunting with horses and hounds

Fox hunting with horses and hounds

Out of interest i was wondering how others feel about fox hunting and does the hunt displace deer from there usual territories ?

I would be a lot more charitable towards both the staghounds and the foxhounds if they weren't so aggressive towards anyone else who dares to kill deer/foxes. As it is, their record is pretty poor - they move everything around and don't catch much. I have farmers who 'phone me up in advance to book me in for the evening after the local fox hunt goes through, as they nearly always end up shoving foxes miles off their usual territories. Imagine what damage a lost fox can do to 4,000 free-range organic chickens...

hunt got me a nice 500 acre plot to shoot munty and roe in return they will draw a wood later on today on my shoot .i have shot roe the day after they have hunted and muntjac so no problem there either ,i have a great relationship with the hunt now and they draw wood and cover back toward the shoot centre effectively dogging in ,they would never come on without letting me know first either .live and let live ,help thy neighbour .kennels are 1/2 mile from shoot ,they are sensible enough to know i must control foxs with rifle ,snare ,and trap ,but i will continue to help them and hopefully the free stalking will keep coming ,TALLY HO !

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I would be a lot more charitable towards both the staghounds and the foxhounds if they weren't so aggressive towards anyone else who dares to kill deer/foxes. As it is, their record is pretty poor - they move everything around and don't catch much
    That is my experience as well.
    I did go on a fox hunt once before the 'March on London' just for the experience, in my opinion it is not a serious attempt to control foxes, its more about a social occassion and enjoying a day out.
    One of my permissions allowed the fox hunt on her land, but she came home one day to find her drive blocked by horse wagons, when she asked them to move all she got was verbal, hence they lost that permission.
    Just like most things its the few that spoil it for the rest.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    One of my permissions allowed the fox hunt on her land, but she came home one day to find her drive blocked by horse wagons, when she asked them to move all she got was verbal, hence they lost that permission.
    Yep - I know loads of people who've had the same problem. Instead of doing something about it, they then go around calling everyone either 'townies' or 'antis'. Talk about how to win friends and influence people...

Both the Foxhounds and Staghounds regularly draw and hunt through our farm. I have never found it makes any difference to the numbers of deer or foxes on the ground.

By the same evening deer will be found back in the coverts and on their preferred feeding grounds. The only way to move them on for a period of time is to lay the farm dogs on them a couple of times a day every day.

Well today is probably the best day to pop along to your local hunt and see for yourself....
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

looks like my hunt ticks all the right boxs and have moved ahead with the times too ,no place for snobbery ,i wont put how many foxs have accidently been caught on forum but they were on my xmas card list this yr cant remember last one i shot !

I would be a lot more charitable towards both the staghounds and the foxhounds if they weren't so aggressive towards anyone else who dares to kill deer/foxes. As it is, their record is pretty poor - they move everything around and don't catch much. I have farmers who 'phone me up in advance to book me in for the evening after the local fox hunt goes through, as they nearly always end up shoving foxes miles off their usual territories. Imagine what damage a lost fox can do to 4,000 free-range organic chickens...
    i totally agree with the above

I feel you need to grow up a bit
    If you can't work along side the hunt then you are not the right person to be doing the job
    The hunt are not out to make enemies
    Maybe you should make an effort instead of slating them, as by the sounds of it you get a fair bit of extra shooting off the back of it
    I don't hunt anymore and when I did it was with a gun pack not horse back
    But a lot of my stalking is/was affected by the Wawrickshire and in the 9 years or so never had a problem as I did not get in their way and they did not get in mine
    Still shot enough deer and foxes on a regular yearly basis
    At the end of the day we are all part of the same group that are subjected to rules, abuse and regulations that want to prevent us enjoying what we do as a sport , pastime or job
    United we stand, devided we fall
    nice to see the hunts standing united for the cause