Thread: A Great Day at the Ranch Supply Store...

A Great Day at the Ranch Supply Store...

Man! I am glad I braved the post Christmas crowds to go to town for some Break Free. At the ranch supply store I found a sale in progress. I bought a set of RCBS 7x57 dies for $18.75 US, three boxes of Hornady 6.5, 129 grain Interlocks for $12.99 ea, an RCBS heavy duty decapping die for $9 US and a 308 Lee Factory Crimp Die for $5 US. Gad!

Went to another store and they had an 18 pound capacity vibratory case cleaner for $129 with a three year warranty tossed in free. Twenty five pounds of walnut polishing media was $17 and a case spinner (to get rid of the media) was another $18. (half off due to a dented box) This outfit I split between a friend and myself as we have a lot of range pick-up .308 and .223 brass to clean. We fired up the cleaner tonight but the dammed RCBS "heavy duty" decapper snapped a pin on the third case I put through it. I'm using the Lee from now on.

Between two AR-10 rifles and all the reloading gear I bought I won't be eating this week but I'll probably still be grinning come payday.~Muir

Andy,I feel like I just had a pound of fine salt rubbed into a yard of gravel rash!......Hate being on the other side of the coin (Pond).
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Andy,I feel like I just had a pound of fine salt rubbed into a yard of gravel rash!......Hate being on the other side of the coin (Pond).
    I'm off to Florida for a couple of weeks over Easter '12, I've already warned the wife that the "spare" suitcase we take will be returning with various bits I refuse to pay UK rates for. She didn't like the idea of me bringing back ammo though, any suggestion of a possible delay at Customs is not welcome

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    I'm off to Florida for a couple of weeks over Easter '12, I've already warned the wife that the "spare" suitcase we take will be returning with various bits I refuse to pay UK rates for. She didn't like the idea of me bringing back ammo though, any suggestion of a possible delay at Customs is not welcome
    Your luggage will arrive QUICKER if it has ammo in it - because the process is that you do not collect it from the carousel, it should go direct to customs (red channel) where they will give it to you when you show them your FAC. I say should, because sometimes (1 in 10) it doesn't and I once saw a guys cased shotgun arrive via the carousel at Gatwick

On arrival back in UK, if they do fill in your FAC it will be a miracle (so keep all of you receipts to prove usage to your FLO) and, in my experience, they will be completely disinterested to see the ammo unless you have a weapon.

Ammo has to be pre-booked with the airline (I think it is max 5kg per passenger, max 25Kg per plane - so book early) and, at check in in the US, you have to tell them you have pre-booked ammo, fill in some paperwork and (maybe) take your bag to the TSA scan area.

Don't take a spare suitcase - buy a zip up holdall from Walmart (others are available) and put an envelope in the top marked "TSA" with copies of the receipts and a note to tell them it is ammo for personal sporting use plus a copy of your FAC. Your flight / passenger details will be available to them from the luggage tag?

Spend lots!

PS There is a HUGE thread on here some time back about the legality of buying ammo in the US which has now been proven to be all ok. Do a search if you are concerned (or PM me) because we are hijacking Muirs thread?
    Last edited by Eyefor; 27-12-2011 at 10:11.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    That was a kick in the arse wasn't it!!

After pick'n up all that gear at such a great price, your not moaning over a snapped pin Muir !!

Living on the other side of the pond has sure got it's +'s.

Atb, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Sorry about the NaCl rub. I was just amazed that after begrudgingly driving 57 miles for a $3 bottle of Break Free CLP (so I could properly lube my new AR-10) I found all these good deals -when all I expected to do was to burn off diesel fuel. I still haven't figured out if it's beneficial for such an irrational decision should be rewarded by even more gun stuff at bargain prices. It's like pouring gasoline on an open flame! ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    Don't know if you're going to Orlando but the Bass Pro shop there was awesome, especially for handloaders!