fair price

Stevie/P

a mate of mine went to melton mowbray market in leicestershire a couple of weeks ago where a munty fetched over £100 i ask £35 for a roe doe and £40 for a buck is that about the going rate our should i be asking more.

I would love to know who the trader was I know most of the ones selling meat. As for the price you can buy venison from £2.20 kg up to £3.00 kg.If the trader is buying it from a game dealers then he is going to put a margin on top. But a ton for a munty is well greedy. But if he can sell it good luck.

I suppose its quite legal to sell venison in the skin at auction:?:
never thought of it before there is a small auction every monday not far away may be able to make a quid or two extra or would it be asking for trouble.

melton market prices always go mad when people are off work,they were paying £4.50 for a rabbit at half term

a mate of mine went to melton mowbray market in leicestershire a couple of weeks ago where a munty fetched over £100 i ask £35 for a roe doe and £40 for a buck is that about the going rate our should i be asking more.

Do you shoot Roe in Leicestershire. I live in the county but have never seen Roe.

I always get at least £6.00 per lb on muntjac haunches as loads of people have never tried it and want to and most of them request more if its available .

I always get at least £6.00 per lb on muntjac haunches as loads of people have never tried it and want to and most of them request more if its available .

Thats sounds like an end user price. It sounds great but there lots of hoops to jump through and costs to bear before you can get those prices. Or I am doing something wrong.

i have seen um in the county around the shepshed area

I have heard that they are about but certainly not in a shootable quantity. Not where I am at any rate. Was hoping that there was another part of the county that was over run by them.

I have heard that they are about but certainly not in a shootable quantity. Not where I am at any rate. Was hoping that there was another part of the county that was over run by them.
There are about 15-20 in the Shepshed area also a few on a estate in loughborough and a handfull near Coalville
1 nice buck was killed on the M1 near JCT22 in the summer.Melton Market sometimes sells the odd deer and the
prices are always double the going rate.

There are about 15-20 in the Shepshed area also a few on a estate in loughborough and a handfull near Coalville
1 nice buck was killed on the M1 near JCT22 in the summer.Melton Market sometimes sells the odd deer and the
prices are always double the going rate.

Well lets hope they dont get hit hard then or they will never get established in any numbers. Would be great to see one.

Well lets hope they dont get hit hard then or they will never get established in any numbers. Would be great to see one.
Howa i believe the roe at Shepshed are being spared as the guy who has the shooting rights is determined
to leave them alone till they reach decent numbers, on the other side of the motorway it's a bit of a lottery
with a fair bit of poaching /long dog men about, mainly after Hares and Munties which are increasing in the area.

I believe there may be a sika or two lurking about as well. Its good to hear what you say about the Roe near Shepshed. We dont have many deer in Leicestershire and it would be good to see them in number.

Last edited:
THere is the odd Sika and a few Roe where I go to in Leics but as soon as they wander onto someones else ground sadly its the bullet as people are too blinded by the few £££ they will get and not intelligent enough to leave them until a good breeding population has spread then begin to harvest a few...

I had not heard about the Sika but i suppose that there may be 1 or 2 escapees from park collections,
Fallow are also on the move southbound from Nottingham towards the Leicester area, i have a shoot on
the Notts/Leics boundary which hold a few munties but a Fallow was seen on the farm next door a couple
of weeks ago:D, Just waiting for the Roe to take advantage of my kind offer of food and protection !!!

I had not heard about the Sika but i suppose that there may be 1 or 2 escapees from park collections,
Fallow are also on the move southbound from Nottingham towards the Leicester area, i have a shoot on
the Notts/Leics boundary which hold a few munties but a Fallow was seen on the farm next door a couple
of weeks ago:D, Just waiting for the Roe to take advantage of my kind offer of food and protection !!!

I know a farmer near loughborough who has seen fallow. Again not in any number and if true we need to leave them be. I even leave the muntjac alone. Had three on the lawn recently which was lovely to see. However I do know that local vermin controllers have been told to wipe them out.

I know a farmer near loughborough who has seen fallow. Again not in any number and if true we need to leave them be. I even leave the muntjac alone. Had three on the lawn recently which was lovely to see. However I do know that local vermin controllers have been told to wipe them out.
Me too Howa we have only in the last few years been graced with Muntjac and numbers are low so i leave them
alone at least till numbers reach a decent level.

Back