Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vihta Vuori High Energy propellants

Vihta Vuori High Energy propellants

All righty then- I've been perusing the Viht reloading manual, and it seems that the 5 prefix powders can offer a bit more velocity- no big deal for most stalking calibers, but I could use a bit more Vooma from my Remington's 26" barrel for F-TR.

So, what are the downsides to using a 5 series powder as opposed to the standard propellant? More bore fouling? Bigger SD? Or are there no obvious disadvantages to using N-540 instead of N-140?

Main downside is they not very temperature tolerent so if developed this time of year you can get a presure spike in the hotter months, if you still want to persue them I have an unopened 540 and an opened but not used 560 here at 50 each.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

down side they burn out barrels verry fast

Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    down side they burn out barrels verry fast
    +1 despite the ******** on the Vhit site stating that there is no increased barrel wear, they have a ferocious appetite for throats. I have a friend who used N530 in his 16" barrel RPA 308, it got to 3000fps with a 125 ballistic tip, but his throat was buggered in less than 1200 rounds, theres no such thing as a free lunch!

Aaah, see I know there was a catch somewhere. I'll stick to RL-15 for now.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
    Aaah, see I know there was a catch somewhere. I'll stick to RL-15 for now.

Thanks for the info.
    RL-15 is also a double based powder so it also burns hot. A barrel is a disposable item IMHO get a good load worked up then enjoy it while it lasts.

Of course some would know better than the patently incorrect manufacturers..

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    If that remark was aimed at me then i suggest you get a borescope and see for yourself. I like Vhit Powder and i have no problem using 5 Series, in certain applications it works very well. But there is a trade off in barrel life. Perhaps for a stalker this would be less noticeable due to reduced rates of fire compared to F Class use, but it is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    And of course some learn from experience rather than listening to sales pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    RL-15 is also a double based powder so it also burns hot. A barrel is a disposable item IMHO get a good load worked up then enjoy it while it lasts.
    Didnt know that . What about varget, h4895 and benchmark, are they double or single based ?