Vihta Vuori High Energy propellants

Windknot

All righty then- I've been perusing the Viht reloading manual, and it seems that the 5 prefix powders can offer a bit more velocity- no big deal for most stalking calibers, but I could use a bit more Vooma from my Remington's 26" barrel for F-TR.

So, what are the downsides to using a 5 series powder as opposed to the standard propellant? More bore fouling? Bigger SD? Or are there no obvious disadvantages to using N-540 instead of N-140?

Main downside is they not very temperature tolerent so if developed this time of year you can get a presure spike in the hotter months, if you still want to persue them I have an unopened 540 and an opened but not used 560 here at £50 each.

down side they burn out barrels verry fast

+1 despite the ******** on the Vhit site stating that there is no increased barrel wear, they have a ferocious appetite for throats. I have a friend who used N530 in his 16" barrel RPA 308, it got to 3000fps with a 125 ballistic tip, but his throat was buggered in less than 1200 rounds, theres no such thing as a free lunch!

Of course some would know better than the patently incorrect manufacturers..

If that remark was aimed at me then i suggest you get a borescope and see for yourself. I like Vhit Powder and i have no problem using 5 Series, in certain applications it works very well. But there is a trade off in barrel life. Perhaps for a stalker this would be less noticeable due to reduced rates of fire compared to F Class use, but it is a fact.

RL-15 is also a double based powder so it also burns hot. A barrel is a disposable item IMHO get a good load worked up then enjoy it while it lasts.
Didnt know that . What about varget, h4895 and benchmark, are they double or single based ?

The best source of information is the manufacturers websites. They normally tell you the type of powder and it's most suitable applications..

Didnt know that . What about varget, h4895 and benchmark, are they double or single based ?

Varget and h4895 are both single based, not sure on benchmark.

here is an excerpt from a letter from Vhitavouri explaining about 5 series, they admit that the double based propellant will always erode barrels faster, but they do add chemicals to the powder to try and minimise the effects.

Bore and throat erosion is really dependent on powder composition. The important parameter is flame temperature, which is unfortunately immeasurable quantity. Based on thermodynamic calculation, and long experience it is well known fact that higher energy content (i.e. heat of explosion) leads to higher flame temperature and higher throat erosion.

Easiest method to improve ballistic performance is to add nitroglycerol in powder composition. These powders are called double base powders. As you have heard, these powders tend to cause more barrel and throat erosion compared to single base powders. This difference is clear but it is, however impossible to quantify as for example as numbers of rounds to reach same erosion level.

All Vihtavuori N100 (N105...), N300 (N310...) powders, 3N37 and 3N38 are single base powders. These products are made with best available raw materials and manufacturing methods to get maximal performance you can get without using more erosive double base composition. Therefore, these Vihtavuori products cause less erosion than most of other competing powders. Especially high nitroglycerol contents (and thus erosion) are used in spherical powders (ball powders) and some US products.

Among Vihtavuori product line we have only five types we call N500 (N530 ... N570) which are by composition double base powders. N500 rifle powders contain small amount of nitroglycerol to add a bit more performance required mainly for extremely long distances. Even with these products we have added a special additive as well kept nitroglycerol content rather low in order to minimize the barrel erosion effect.

So, my opinion and advice is to keep barrel and throat erosion on minimum by using only single base powders like Vihtavuori N100, N300 and 3N.

Best Regards,

Mikko Vuoristo
EURENCO Vihtavuori Oy

Varget and h4895 are both single based, not sure on benchmark.

here is an excerpt from a letter from Vhitavouri explaining about 5 series, they admit that the double based propellant will always erode barrels faster, but they do add chemicals to the powder to try and minimise the effects.

Bore and throat erosion is really dependent on powder composition. The important parameter is flame temperature, which is unfortunately immeasurable quantity. Based on thermodynamic calculation, and long experience it is well known fact that higher energy content (i.e. heat of explosion) leads to higher flame temperature and higher throat erosion.

Easiest method to improve ballistic performance is to add nitroglycerol in powder composition. These powders are called double base powders. As you have heard, these powders tend to cause more barrel and throat erosion compared to single base powders. This difference is clear but it is, however impossible to quantify as for example as numbers of rounds to reach same erosion level.

All Vihtavuori N100 (N105...), N300 (N310...) powders, 3N37 and 3N38 are single base powders. These products are made with best available raw materials and manufacturing methods to get maximal performance you can get without using more erosive double base composition. Therefore, these Vihtavuori products cause less erosion than most of other competing powders. Especially high nitroglycerol contents (and thus erosion) are used in spherical powders (ball powders) and some US products.

Among Vihtavuori product line we have only five types we call N500 (N530 ... N570) which are by composition double base powders. N500 rifle powders contain small amount of nitroglycerol to add a bit more performance required mainly for extremely long distances. Even with these products we have added a special additive as well kept nitroglycerol content rather low in order to minimize the barrel erosion effect.

So, my opinion and advice is to keep barrel and throat erosion on minimum by using only single base powders like Vihtavuori N100, N300 and 3N.

Best Regards,

Mikko Vuoristo
EURENCO Vihtavuori Oy

well bugger it !

my .270 only cost me £270 so once ive chewed the barrel out with N560 (which it loves) ill post in north and have a re-barrel at border barrels :D

well bugger it !

my .270 only cost me £270 so once ive chewed the barrel out with N560 (which it loves) ill post in north and have a re-barrel at border barrels :D

My sentiments exactly, but some people seem to think that a barrel needs to be treated like a family heirloom and handed down rom father to son.

My sentiments exactly, but some people seem to think that a barrel needs to be treated like a family heirloom and handed down rom father to son.

i know for a fact that ill chew my ruger barrel before i i leave it in my will !

my rifle is a tool and not something that i get out of the gun box every day and polish , and drool over .

it gets throshed in all weathers and i shoot atleast 400 rounds a yr through it , so i need a new barrel in 5 years or so i cant say its not earned its keep !

Back