Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Feed Back on a Rifle Zeroing Day

Looking For Feed Back on a Rifle Zeroing Day

Hi everyone

Im looking for some feed back on an oppertunity I have to use 150 acres in leicetershire. A farmer I know has a piece of land that runs into a deep valley and a large hill behind and it has a nice bowl in the middle, perfect back stop. I can shoot out to 250yrds no problem mybe 300.

At the moment there is 3 live size steel plate red deer from 100, 150 ,200yrds. Now I want to put on full size roe, fallow, muntys and foxes to. Having at up 15/20 steel targets, as well as 100 yrd paper target.

I am lucky that I can take my rifle out any time I like and shoot some rounds off, But keep hearing that Rifle Shooters and Deer Stalkers have nowhere to check there zero or have a practic with there rifles. As far as we know all the land is passed for .30 cal but I am checking this out.

So I would be happy to put a Zero Day on if people were interested. That land is only used for making hay so using it throught the year is not a problem. It would be a great way to get stalker from around the area to get together.

I would have to charge a fee, going towards using the land and maintaning all the targets 20/25 per person. Also there is the use of a stockmans hut on the land where I would serve tea coffee and mybe lunch in with the price. I want it to be a fun day out.

Please, Please give me a little feed back as I would like to help my sport and hobby as much as poss as well as other peoples. If the responce is positive I would have it up and running by Febuary.

Thankyou for you time and either post a reply or PM me
    Andrew

Your problem comes when you take money for an event. As soon as you do that then you will need to look in to proper insurance.

It's a great idea that would be really helpful for people, but if it becomes a business you have all sorts of issues to contend with.

agree with matt also if some one got to hear about it maybe an anti or one of them, they get on to tax man find you are charging then they will want their cut in VAT, it sounds like a great idea but when money changes hands it opens up a whole new ball game insurance being the main problem, you start asking for insurance for guns and people and some start to **** them self.

paul
    I have guns because i love shooting, what i hate is red tape and been screwed by a Dishonest Government.

I have my own business so thats not a problem. If you have an open ticket as well as the land being passed plus shooting insurance I dont see a problem.

But this is why I posted this forum. I want to put something back into my sport, but sometimes you just need to ask a few questions first

Thankyou Andrew

Open ticket and own insurance should cover it. The only issue could come from any close neighbours who may object to the noise. I know that you can only have so many clay shoots per year without getting a licence of some kind.
    Last edited by neil_r; 27-12-2011 at 19:16. Reason: Typo

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Buckbones, great idea. A group of us use to shoot different size targets at different distances. Eggs, tiles, clay pigeons, paper deer and foxes etc. It was great fun and very good practice. I think you must all ready have some idea about the legal side of your idea because you called it a rifle zeroing day and not a target practice day. I would recommend that you mention it to basc and see what advise the give. One thing they told me was you cannot run it as a competition if you use expanding ammo, however you can allways give a prize for the person who is the best dressed. Good luck with it

Not sure if you are talking a one off day or more or less setting up as a rifle range. I get the feeling it is a rifle range you are thinking off. If rifle range I would think that you may well have to apply for some sort of planning permission. Others may have better knowledge but at what point do you require a RCO. Sounds a good idea to help out but I think that there may just be a lot more than a piece of ground and targets especially if you start charging.

We could always contribute 20-25 towards tea coffee and grub rather than calling it a fee, it's a great idea and I would be more than willing to help when the day takes place.
    Again paper targets shoot n c's would need to purchased so it could all be covered by the CONTRIBUTION or kitty what ever you want to call it rather than a charge or fee.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Quote Originally Posted by pierred View Post
    We could always contribute 20-25 towards tea coffee and grub rather than calling it a fee, it's a great idea and I would be more than willing to help when the day takes place.
    Again paper targets shoot n c's would need to purchased so it could all be covered by the CONTRIBUTION or kitty what ever you want to call it rather than a charge or fee.
    Good idea any one willing to put themselves out i think should be supported

I've no personal experience but I know someone who has done a similar type of thing who had to apply for planning permission. This was eventually granted but he was told that if payment was made then change of use etc: would come into it.