Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 month old BMH chasing deer!

6 month old BMH chasing deer!

Morning All,

I have a six month old BMH that is doing great in all respects, apart from... Chasing unwounded deer whilst out walking!

9 times out of 10 I can get her either back with me or make her sit before she realises there are deer in close proximity, however when she does chase she is gone for several minutes. She never catches them and always comes back.

I am very wary that her chasing unwounded deer will heavily dilute her ability to track due to following a fresh scent will be seen as more exciting. Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me stop her following fresh scents on a track? I haven't ever bollocked her for chasing deer, reasons for this are: 1. Because eventually I want her to chase and despatch wounded deer if that is what is required, 2. When she comes back, the bollocking will appear to her to be a bollocking for coming back, not for chasing deer which is counter-productive.Any thoughts would be greatly received.
    Last edited by bartzkingx; 28-12-2011 at 09:31.

I have not trained dogs for deer but have many years experience with other working dogs (sheepdogs and gun dogs) Before any "work specific training" I have to be confident that I can stop and recall the dog and it is not until they are steady here will i start any serious training. You will need to get the recall sorted well away from deer because as you say you will eventually want her to follow, so keep working on the recall away from any situations where she will want to ignore it.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

If your dog is never going to hunt un-shot deer you must give it a bollocking for chasing them like you would any other animal you did not want it to hunt. Make sure he she already knows its OK to hunt scents and bloods. Most dogs will chaise any animal, it is up to us to decide what ones and when. Keep it away from live deer until you have done many hours training on dead ones and then work on the recall i would suggest a good dog whistle.

6 months, off lead in a deer situation. Like Rudy says steady the dog. if you have a constant sit recall in place you are ahead of the game. Is the dog sheep steady? Rabbit, Hare,
    In other words take your time and instill the basics.
    Here says the man with the unsteadiest cocker in Scotland. Perfect manners, hunting and recall (begrudgingly) until she scents a Pheasant then she knows best,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bartzkingx View Post
    Morning All,

I have a six month old BMH that is doing great in all respects, apart from... Chasing unwounded deer whilst out walking!

9 times out of 10 I can get her either back with me or make her sit before she realises there are deer in close proximity, however when she does chase she is gone for several minutes. She never catches them and always comes back.

I am very wary that her chasing unwounded deer will heavily dilute her ability to track due to following a fresh scent will be seen as more exciting. Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me stop her following fresh scents on a track? I haven't ever bollocked her for chasing deer, reasons for this are: 1. Because eventually I want her to chase and despatch wounded deer if that is what is required, 2. When she comes back, the bollocking will appear to her to be a bollocking for coming back, not for chasing deer which is counter-productive.Any thoughts would be greatly received.
    You are having an HS thus certainly no whistles nor heavy bollocking.

What I would suggest to take her out to a place downwind from where you know/hope deer are. Put her collar on, not the tracking collar and tie a 50/100 yards thin line on that with a ball on the end.

If she goes after a deer you put your foot on the line and because of friction and the ball on the end she will come to a halt. Reel in the line whilst grumbling deeply and make her sit with the line on for 20 minutes or so. Tie the line to a stump and disappear.

Yoy can also start by making her sit and stay as above once she has winded the deer.

Have you contacted Mr Buchholz?

You are absolutely right about why you should not bollock the dog for what it is doing simply because you eventually will want her to follow, chase and bring deer to bay(wounded) and secondly she would associate the bollocking with coming back. What you need to work on is recall, walking to heel and eventually steadinesss in the presence of deer. The first two need to be well instilled and initially away from the distraction of deer scent. You will then have control over when you allow her to track and when not.
    You cannot stop the dog from being able to scent fresh deer scent or for that matter any other scent she may come across but what you need to get her to understand is that I do not want you to follow that track, I want you to follow this one. This can only be done with praise, encouragement and reward whilst the dog is completing the right track and a little guidance and correction if he goes off on the wrong one. As your dog becomes more experienced in the tracks you want her to follow she will recognise but ignore the other scents. What you have to recognise in training is when the dog has gone totally wrong and when she has gone off the right track just to investigate another scent and make up her mind as to the right one. In training you must know exactly where your track goes so that if the dog does stray off the track you know she is doing so. My way is to stand still, say nothing (best case is that she works it out herself) allow her to investigate (chances are she will cast round back onto the right track and continue) but if she commits to the wrong track stop her and encourage her back to the "right" one.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Here says the man with the unsteadiest cocker in Scotland. Perfect manners, hunting and recall (begrudgingly) until she scents a Pheasant then she knows best,
    Jim
    I'll be your witness to that statement any day Jim. Lovely wee dog, hunts like it's got a rocket up it's jacksy, totally fearless and the best selective hearing on the planet.

But you have to admit she can flush pheasants better than any dog you have ever met,--------------------------------- 3 woods away.

Thank you all for your replies so far,

I thought my recall was good until she switches off when chasing the deer. When not chasing she comes to me with no hesitation 99% of the time. How could I make this stronger when she's chasing? This leads me on to your point Baron, I like the idea of using a long leash, what is the idea about leaving her for twenty minutes?

Gazza, Thanks for your points too, all taken on board.

Baron, I did get in touch with him and he's currently checking my dogs papers just to ensure she's from working and not show lines. Thanks for your help with that; I sent him a letter from me and also a 'reference' type letter from the head of my Jagdgruppe.

Any more suggestions for steadying or strengthening her recall will be kindly welcomed

IMO Basic rule of dog training - never give a command that you cannot enforce. If your dog is in full flight after a deer there is no point in keeping calling him, all you are enforcing in his mind is that he can disobey. Baron's long leash suggestion can be a good one as this enables you to enforce the recall but most dogs will quickly realise when they have a leash attached and when they don't. I would certainly give the long leash a try but if this fails you may have to resort to stalking with the dog on a jager leash. With some dogs the excitment of the chase is just too much to resist .