Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm rem mag bullet weight

7mm rem mag bullet weight

Hi chaps what is the best bullet weight for a 7 mm rem mag, it will be used for roe up to large reds and occasional trips to shoot pigs.
    thanks in advance

Regards Robbo

A Nosler Partition from 140 - 175 grn would be ideal. 140's for Roe 150's or 160's for your large Red's and 175's for the Piggies.

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

SD Regular
    A lot depends on the ability of your magazine to hold, and your rifle's chamber to accept, various bullet profiles. Thus whilst the "ideal" for boar may be a 175 grain bullet, that is a "long for calibre" bullet that may give seating, feeding and chambering issues.

However my opinion would be that 175 grain or 165 grain is nevertheless probably the best "all around" option. For FACTORY 140 grain bullets in the 7mm RM are simply too fast and too destructive for typical British conditions.

OK for a "beanfield" in the USA with a shot at three hundred yards but at under 100 yards it is going, 7mm RM with 140 grain bullet, to out-destroy and out-damage the worst horror cases of any 270 Winchester!

The ONLY exception would be if you used Remington's "Managed Recoil" factory loads that propel a 140 grain bullet in 7mm RM at more usable British type velocities.

No, to my mind, it is at its best with 175 grain bullets or 165 grain bullets. A sort of flatter shooting 30-06.

Anything lighter and quite frankly it is no more or less (except for extra un-needed velocity and meat damage) a clumsy inferior design clone of the 270 Winchester! That's to say one less capacity, more powder, a clumsy belt and more expensive cases!

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    In the real world I have taken hundreds of sambar deer using mainly 150 grain winchester factory sp`s, plus the small hog deer also and plenty of fallow bucks as well.I continue to use them to this day. In the earlier days I also used the same ammo in 175 gr`s.

Noslers out of a 7mm rm will zip through small deer like a needle without working as they are designed too.

I've had mine years and used everything from 100gr hp's to 175 bonded.
    140-160's are best i think for 1 bullet does all.
    the main thing is a bonded or premium bullet as any old bullet will shed jackets and shatter on impacting game causing loads of damage.
    I am currently using 162gr RWS cone points(factory) and they are spot on giving 1 inch groups at 200m's.
    for pigs I use federal premium with trophy bonded ber claw. 160 or 175.
    recovered from a running boar at 20m's after hitting both shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by robbo'srifle View Post
    Hi chaps what is the best bullet weight for a 7 mm rem mag, it will be used for roe up to large reds and occasional trips to shoot pigs.
    thanks in advance

Regards Robbo
    Hi,

I see you are in Cambridgeshire - so no too far away from where I live?

I have plenty of Sierra 140gr SP's and 175gr SP's (plus 100gr HP's which are outstanding on munties and fox) that you are welcome to try a few of if you are interested?

Let me know?

PM also sent with my moby number.

ATB

Iain
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Thanks Iain

I will be in touch

Regards Pete

In the lesser calibre which Eyefor shoots 140gr is probably ideal for Roe, but the Mag. does jellify tissue with the lightweights. IMHO Nosler Partitions aren't needed for deer, especially with all that power to hand.

Speer recommends 160grain as the best compromise for the 7mm RM. The Hot-Cor SP/BTSP in this weight shoots well, and would do it all.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I would agree that 160g is the best in conventional lead and copper bullets but use 140 grain in monometal Barnes TSX with great results

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    In the lesser calibre which Eyefor shoots
    Snob
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).