Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has this ever happened to you?

Has this ever happened to you?

So off I set this morning on my boxing day stalk, kitted out with turkey & cranberry sauce sandwiches, a big slab of Christmas cake and a flask to make tea or coffee. Hopes were high as the sky was blue, the air crisp and I was heading to a bit of ground the commission had cleared and where there were plenty of deer. Arrived at the designated spot before 12 (well, it is Boxing Day after all) and made my way to a likely high seat. Settled in, let the peace of the woods settle around me and not twenty minutes in, looking over my shoulder I saw a likely roe 50 yards off. Set my scope hairs firmly on position on the vital chest area...and didn't take the shot! Ah well, I thought, have a bit of lunch and there'll be another soon.

So I did, and a short time later, again over my shoulder appeared a young male, short little antlers in velvet, followed closely by the mother doe making their way behind my position to a more densely wooded area. I manouvered to position and had the doe covered as she paused briefly not 35 yards away....and again didn't shoot, just watched them disappear into cover.

It's after 1pm now and off I go on foot, lots of deer signs but no deer though I enjoy the chill air and peaceful solitude. A couple of uneventful hours and a brief sit in a deer hide later I start making my way back and as it's still light I climb into the high seat for one last chance, spending my time on my knees, looking behind, to where the other ones had earlier appeared. 20 minutes later I look over my shoulder...where a doe has emerged just about 60 yards in front. Get into sitting position, bring the gun on her but instead of shooting just watch as she comes closer and closer at a good pace and she is right in front of me, sniffing the air and moving cautiously. I know she's not for the chiller today so just watch her as she nibbles a bit of grass, sniffs the air a bit more then moves up a track opposite the high seat unhurriedly, eating as she goes. Very enjoyable to watch.

So by the end of the day 3 cast iron chances, none taken. Never happened before, and I'm hoping it's a passing Christmas bit of sentimentality. I know I'm not alone as others have told me they have done the same.

I wonder what the trigger is for this stalkers hesitancy is?

Enjoying the countryside is all part of hunting. I`ve spent many an hour sat in the hedge watching the world go by.
    Fair play to you on letting the does have a second chance.
    basil.

Davie
    At this time of year yes as i only have a few to cull and will be very selective over the next few weeks like said already i love watching deer and will go out many times with just my bins .But if i take my rifle and i have got does to cull i don't hesitate at all.

Not ashamed to say that I've been there one or twice Good on you Armo - you're human.

But as for Trapper .............

Thanks for the replies all I mentioned this when we were eating our soup and sandwiches after our pheasant shoot today and apparently it hits us all at some stage.

Sorry to see the sour note, apparently 'real' stalkers don't take sustenance when they go out for a long stalk, I guess they just gnaw some tree bark and wash it down with puddle water.

So, 436 posts in approx. 6 months = 72 per month, 18 per week or about 3 per day; I guess some people prefer to talk the talk rather than walk the walk and most of their stalking expertise comes off the screen of their computer.

Sorry tried to be nice just slipped out .

Just read your posting. Good on ya Kev mate
    There`s nowt wrong with a bit of sentiment now and again. Who says we have to kill everything we come across?. Personally i think it takes more of a man to admire the wildlife every now and again, than to pull the trigger all the time.

Keep it up Kev

wadas

Quote Originally Posted by wadashot
    Just read your posting. Good on ya Kev mate
    There`s nowt wrong with a bit of sentiment now and again. Who says we have to kill everything we come across?. Personally i think it takes more of a man to admire the wildlife every now and again, than to pull the trigger all the time.

Keep it up Kev

wadas
    Well said Wadas.

Trying to get all scientific here.
    They say "never go to the supermarket hungry, you will buy more food than you realy need".
    My guess is, with a belly full and aching after eating half a turkey is not the best time to go a huntin more food??
    Probably twadle, but it's a thought proccess fueled by a good night on the port and stilton.
    Mark