270 loads for Africa

deerwarden

Hi, have booked a 10 cull hunt in May of 2012, and have H4831sc and R 22, will be tacking 150 and 130 grn Barnes and 150grn Partition, any one have a pet load for either powder and bullet weights. Will be using my 202 classic. deerwarden

for me 60 grains of 4831 sc on 130 and 140 grain bullets i havnt used r22 i use h4895 for 150 grains if thats any help work up on the 4831 sc it could be max load so start below ,atb wayne

Deerwarden,

Pick one bullet and load and just go with that. Fastest isn't best. You want one bullet to handle all as you will not know what will walk out in front of you.

You must put the bullet out of your mind and just get shot placement right, that's all.

In 6.5 x 55 my son uses 140gr Partitions and is happy to take upto Wildebeest and Kudu when he has time on shot.

If he expects a quick shot then he will use 285gr on my 9.3 x 62.

Africa is hunting (you take what you come upon) rather than stalking (choose what you want).

Stan

I did a lot of work with H4831 in my 270 WCF BRNO ZKK 600 (had a 23.50" barrel) both with 140 grain HORNADY INTERLOCK and 150 grain HORNADY INTERLOCK. I am in mid-process of experimenting with Nosler Partition 150 grain and the older perhaps more desirable Nosler Partition Gold that have the "partition" further forward to give greater retained weight.

Anyway FWIW here are results with H4831 and the Hornady 140 grain Interlock Boattail:

55.4 gns = 2856 fps
56.0 gns = 2867 fps
56.4 gns = 2892 fps
56.8 gns = 2905 fps

All FIVE SHOT strings and tested ten feet off the muzzle, November 2007, 53 degrees Fahrenheit temperature.

And here the one loading that I did with H4831 and the 150 grain Hornady Interlock Flat Base:

55.0 gns 2809 fps WITH CCI LARGE RIFLE PRIMER
55.0 gns 2803 fps WITH REMINGTON 9 1/2 PRIMER

Velocities over five rounds all within 30 fps spread with CCI - 2801 fps to 2831 fps. With Remington 9 1/2 the extreme spread was 116 fps! Use CCI for best results!

I hope this helps at least give an idea of velocity that I achieved with my 270 WCF. If you want heavier bullet information try the American http://www.accuratereloading.com site that has a good lot of helpful members with strong opinions!

And although these loads were OK in my rifle they may be unsafe in other rifles...including yours! So these figures are given as information only not as recommendations!

Last edited:
I have found the following loads shoot to the same point of aim almost at 100 yds will obviously differ above that but gives me two loads to take and see which performs best out there,
54 gns of RL 22 with Partion 160gn bullet, 20 thou off lands.
55gns of 4350 with Barnes 130 TTX bullets 70 thou off lands.
both above with two bullets touching one half inch away and either side of the centre line of the bull half inch apart in line!!!!!! I'm pleased with that and as I have a BC turret can work on the POA further out. deerwarden. :lol:

Hi, have booked a 10 cull hunt in May of 2012, and have H4831sc and R 22, will be tacking 150 and 130 grn Barnes and 150grn Partition, any one have a pet load for either powder and bullet weights. Will be using my 202 classic. deerwarden

Pm Adamant of these forums, he took a .270 to Africa in 2010 and shot 130 grain hornadys of some description. Based on what I remember the 150 grain bullets are a better idea to try and maximize penetration. The .270 can be a bit light for steeply quartering shots.

Whatever bullet & powder you decide on, don't load them too hot! Remember pressure can increase very quickly with increased powder temperature and it sometimes gets very warm in Africa.
Load your favourite bullet & powder mix and find at what charge you get acceptable grouping & velocity by working up. If you start getting the first signs of pressure at uk firing temperatures you've gone too far and should choose a lighter charge.

Ian

Echo the post about being mindful of temps, i took a 6.5 284 to africa a few years ago a custom rifle with a load running on the limit, after a day in the sun loads went over the top and the rendered the rifle unusable. To the point where i struggled to open the bolt !

Back