Moderator for 6.5X55

Dennis H

I am looking for a good quality moderator for my 6.5X55 barrel, does anyone have any experience with a good model?? and where to buy one.
weight and size is not as important as performance.

Dennis

i am currently using a relex T8 on my tikka T3 6.5x55
very good moddy, make a good shooting rifle even better
as for where to get one , which part of the country are you .

as you will have to get one from a rfd

cheers

steve

T8 fitted to my 6.5x55.Great moderator, does not add too much to the length of the gun plus it also tames recoil.Remove and dry after every outing and it will last years.

Check out August eddition of Sporting Rifle; t8 (0.25 size) gives a very good noise suppression in the 6.5 gun tested.Best suppression was from a 0.25 size Ase Utra Compact but it costs an extra £100

Dennis,

if its for your R93 you might consider a T4, they only add 2 & 1/2 " to the length of such a compact rifle and dont upset the balance as much as a T8. or try a wildcat predator 4 if you want something strippable.

i use T4 on .308 and noise/recoil reduction is more than adequate.

Gary

thank you for the answers,

Gary,
yes it is for my Blaser :D
where can i get the T4 moderator or the wildcat??

Dennis

in the uk you can get them from most dealers, or go direct to http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/

for the wildcats go to http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/sound_moderators.htm

you need to have the bush at the back end cut to your rifle, a simple job for a competant machinist, the .243 is now screwcut and i just swap between the 2 calibres when i swap barrels. the moderator is a .30 calibre t4.

hope this helps?

just to show size

t8

09042008040.jpg

t4

09072008252.jpg

Well I've decided to get an Ase Utra Jet-Z having read an article in Sporting Rifle. The 0.25 model out performed the 0.30 model.The spanner in the works is that the importer reccommends the larger size for my rifle but I'm still tempted to get the smaller size.
Anybody out there using the smaller size on a 6.5?

Scotspine,

When I was looking for a moderator for my Sako 85 every manufacturer at the Defence Show in Paris pointed me to the Jet Z as the most appropriate for the calibre. Spoke with the manufacturer on his stand and he recomended the larger of the two options.

This I now have :D

Stan

Thanks

Well Dennis H, is your head spinning as much as mine!

I will go for an ase utra jet-z for my 6.5, I just need to decide which size.I want maximum reduction in decibels so the 0.25 model really appeals......

Smullery

I just realised that you pm'd me.....thank you very muuch for the advice.

I would have pm'd you , but I'm not sure how to do this! My mate will sort me out

regards

scotspine said:
Well I've decided to get an Ase Utra Jet-Z having read an article in Sporting Rifle. The 0.25 model out performed the 0.30 model.The spanner in the works is that the importer reccommends the larger size for my rifle but I'm still tempted to get the smaller size.
Anybody out there using the smaller size on a 6.5?

yes mate got one on my sako 85 works great.

Can anyone confirm whether the .25 jet z is suitable for 6.5 x 55?

Congratulations you have chosen a fantastic moderator. Very quiet and very hard wearing. I fell off a gate onto rocks with mine and it only minutely dented.

Suitable is debatable.

The size of the hole in the baffles of a .25 ASE compact (commonly known as a Jet Z) is 7.5mm. I run this moderator on my 7-08 which was screwcut by Steve Bowes and is very very concentric to the bore. I have not had any issues and it is very quiet indeed.

It may work on your 6.5x55 but there are two provisos.

First your thread needs to be accurately cut and concentric to the bore
Second you need to be shooting stable bullets. 6.5 bullets are long and any wobble issues could conceivably result in touching of baffles and fliers.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Aimzonic range - has interchangeable adapter that screws to the barrel so you can get different threads for different rifles and use the same can. Seriously quiet, rubber coated and about £280 or so - probably much cheaper in Denmark or Germany. I use one rated for .30 cal and it turns the crack into a more muffled thump.

I've used an A-tec for 5/6 years, it's an early over the barrel model, I've liked it, reasonably light and effective at noise reduction, I had q loan of a jet z and never thought it reduced the noise compared to others, I'm changing the A-tec for a DPT Duralium Over Barrel Modular model, saw one at the Shooting Show and liked it, I'm only changing because I've bought a light weight stock to replace my Mcmillan and fancied another toy!!!

Back