Sika Antlers Similaritys!

Von

I have shot a couple of stags this year with similar left hand palmatation on antlers, has anybody else seen the same thing?

DSC_5478.jpgDSC_5477.jpgDSC_0222.jpgDSC_0223.jpg

Last edited:
Abnormal Sika are rare, it may be a while before you get another curious one.
The first appears to have very short pedicles and pronounced beam ridges. Perhaps an ancient beast.
Below is a curious one shot in Co.Wicklow, Eire.
HWH.
JGrantSika.jpg

Now that is very interesting. I have seen three Stags shot here with very similar forms to these. What is worthy of note is that in all cases of partial palmation in the Sika I have seen is that is has formed to span a three tine top. One that Fab2 shot here and had set up was missing the bay tine on the side where the palmation formed. Russ Andrews from the site shot a good head two years ago that had a slight hint on a two top but couldnt be called palmation. For the past six years I have watched an old Stag with a palmation I would estimate to be five inches across, again spanning a three tine top. He is the same every year and I hope he returns unscathed when all this pylon work ends.

David

That head on Post 3 has no like opposite members and must have had a high score in the `difference` column.
By whom was it measured and is it possible to put up the score sheet ?

HWH.

That head on Post 3 has no like opposite members and must have had a high score in the `difference` column.
By whom was it measured and is it possible to put up the score sheet ?

HWH.

I have two ten pointers recorded as silver medals, but I would need a name. PM if you are sensitive!

Tony DW

It's intresting regarding David's post! The above deer were shot in Peebleshire decendants of the Dawyck herd. David your deer up north could they be possibly related? Both deer were both shot in the same area also, father / son maybe? The stag with the most palmated antler was a very old beast.

Regarding "trophys" is their a score awarded for deformity also?

No.
Like is compared with like. For example if one tine has been broken off effectively both tines are missing or if one main beam is half the length of the other it comes out as two short main beams.
On the one in the photo nearly every aspect has a thick or thin or longer and shorter, the inside span however is good.

HWH.

Both a friend and myself have shot a large number of stags in the Peebles area with similar deformities. Again always on the left antler.

ah , i have a 14 point formosan , park stag shot because he was laim . And theres no reds in the park with them , just fallow

Back