Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling Deer

Selling Deer

Having done my level 1 a year or so back I decided to do as advised by the instructors and register with the council and get my house cleared and cooling fidge cleared for use in order traceablity could be shown and protect myself. I called the local health inspector at the council who to be fair didnt really know about the rules and regs for deer. The first thing the lady said was that I wasnt able to sell any deer as I didnt have my level 2. Puzzled I asked her where this information had come from, ' Oh the NGO and two stalkers in your area told me that'. I then went on to tell her he advisors clearly dont know what they are talking about as you dont need level one or two to sell deer as someone who isnt trained can sell deer to a game dealer so long as they follow the rules for an untrained person. I also told her that the trained hunter exemption means that someone with level 1 has core and large game elements to enable supply of game to approved game handling establishments.

Once that was understood the lady was extremely helpful and gave some good advice and information, as she said they are not there to stop the supply of deer , just to make it traceable should there be an incident. I told her I agreed and understood and thought it showed good practice for stalkers to comply with the simple requirements.

A couple of things did arise. Firstly she said drinks chillers and large fridges were NOT suitable as they could only drop to 10 degrees C. This I said was not the case as the fridge I have will drop to freezing as will drinks chiller I know other folk use.

Secondly. She said I wasnt allowed to sell a deer to someone without a Jacket ...ie skinning at my house then taking to say a pub but told me I could take it to the pub and skin it for them there. Now as far as I am aware thasts a big no no?? and I would only sell in a jacket.

The other thing she said is I wasnt allowed to give....(not sell) a leg or part of a deer to a neighbour, but I could a whole deer. This I said must be wrong as surely I can give what I like as there is no transaction taking place.

Does anyone have any infromation regarding this subject with the correct rules etc which can clear the muddle up please?

I discussed this with a friend today who registered recently in another county and he was told the reason the ruling was brought into place was to help trained hunters to sell either deer in jackets, skinned deer and small pieces of deer to friends. Hence the whole reason of being inspected and making sure you keep records.

Many thanks

Pete
    Last edited by chickenman; 30-12-2011 at 09:43.

heard about this via the abingdon grape vine. Wonder who the NGO stalker who said you need level two to trade is? He/She is either ill informed or trying to use level 2 as a stick to beat others with. hope you get this sorted

ATB

BTW gralloched a couple of deer with your knife, its pucka, really like it.

Lots of threads on the SD site, here is just one of them.
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-to-the-Public.
    I got cleared as a food business from home, it wasn't that difficult as my EHO was very helpful and very knowledgeable!
    Cheers
    Richard
    Last edited by devon deer stalker; 29-12-2011 at 17:58. Reason: forgot to add link!

Hi Pete, yes its all sorted now buddy and I have emailed the NGO to tell them what occured, not biting any heads off as such just letting them know incase it was just someone who was mistaken or something.

Glad you like that knife and I have now got a design the same as that one but longer in the blade as a few on here asked if I could maybe do one, watch this space should be here soon.
    Last edited by chickenman; 30-12-2011 at 09:44.

Hi Richard,

Glad all went smooth for you, the poor lady who came to my house was thrown in the deep end as such as it wasnt her normal type of inspection and alot of the advice available is blurred around the edges.She called the NGO for expert advice and the level 2 was the answer.
    Last edited by chickenman; 30-12-2011 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    This I said must be wrong as surely I can give what I like as there is no transaction taking place.
    Giving something does count as supply to a third person, and therefore a transaction is deemed to have taken place, even if no money has changed hands. This is certainly the case with all home slaughtered livestock, so I would presume that it's the same with deer. Even a gift needs to satisfy the same regulations as a sale, where meat is concerned.

+1 vss on home kill, chickenman it's all about the time a bottle chiller takes to bring the temp down. Remember you have to keep a daily record of the fridge and contents temp. As to skinning at the pub or butchers, I think she was trying to help you there as you cannot sell unskinned deer, but after delivery if you wish to skin it for the customer it may be ok, I don,t think you need a ticket to skin animals, if you think it's a mad world then remember if you have more than 100 chickens then you need to have a ticket to pick the eggs if you have 99 then you don,t

Thanks for the replies so far and checked the links but still a bit blurred aroung the edges as she had some of the print off from the same links and was unsure in a couple of areas. As regards to giving deer away she said it was ok so long as it was in the jacket still. As regards to livestock it might be different again with them as they would be traceable from day 1 of their lives would they not? where as a deer is on from the moment it was shot. I have to say it is most confusing for surely if you have livestock, say a pig and then send it for slaughter and get it part butchered then you cant give it away? that seems crazy to me. Regarding the hens, sod getting 99 or a 100 , 18 was enough for me at one time so they have been pot roasted down to just 6 .....and did they taste good!!! never had such lovely tasting chicken, big slabs of fat on them too.

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    heard about this via the abingdon grape vine. Wonder who the NGO stalker who said you need level two to trade is? He/She is either ill informed or trying to use level 2 as a stick to beat others with. hope you get this sorted

ATB

BTW gralloched a couple of deer with your knife, its pucka, really like it.
    soon as you said abingdon the penny dropped , the bloke giving her information is a deer manager , but has no level 1 or 2 no meat hygene and isnt in the NGO , he runs the stalking on a large estate does farmers markets and looks the part , hes also a good talker if you know what i mean , hes one of the laziest blokes i know and trading standards would shut him down tomorrow if they visited his larder , but there ya go people visit farmers markets see the pluss 4s and deer stalker hat hear some bs and another expert is born . Youll see him at Abingdon farmers market