Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Warning for Asthmatic Dog Owners

A Warning for Asthmatic Dog Owners

This one is for anyone who has inhalers around the house. My spaniel has been rushed to the vets tonight with albuterol poisoning having got hold of one of my ventolin inhalers. He put his tooth through the canister, giving himself a massive dose of salbutamol/albuterol which resulted in his heart rate going through the roof. I called the vets emergency line and was advised to bring him straight in. He's had some blood tests, some treatment and is now in for constant observation overnight. You know how it is with dogs, I'm worried sick.

On an aside, Hales Veterinary Group have been brilliant. I'm due an update on his condition at 11.30pm.

Let's hope you get good news at 23:30,

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

It's only got a half life of 2-5 hours in the dog (depends on source). A young fit healthy dog should be ok. Not sure what the vet was looking for with the blood tests.......................

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    It's only got a half life of 2-5 hours in the dog (depends on source). A young fit healthy dog should be ok. Not sure what the vet was looking for with the blood tests.......................
    She was checking potassium levels apparently.

Things have taken a slightly comic turn now. I have just got back from the vets, having been summoned to collect him. Apparently his behaviour once I had left him behind was "not conducive to lowering his heart rate". Those with any experience of spaniels will understand! So I've had to bring him home with orders to watch him for an hour or two and then take him back in at 8.45am tomorrow.

Thanks for the best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by liamnjs View Post
    This one is for anyone who has inhalers around the house. My spaniel has been rushed to the vets tonight with albuterol poisoning having got hold of one of my ventolin inhalers. He put his tooth through the canister, giving himself a massive dose of salbutamol/albuterol which resulted in his heart rate going through the roof. I called the vets emergency line and was advised to bring him straight in. He's had some blood tests, some treatment and is now in for constant observation overnight. You know how it is with dogs, I'm worried sick.

On an aside, Hales Veterinary Group have been brilliant. I'm due an update on his condition at 11.30pm.

Liam the dog is in the right place mate,my dogs are registered there as well,they are a great outfit,good luck mate.

Martin

Hes going to have the shakes for a couple of days.

Overdosing on Ventolin isnt nice.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    An extra 50 on the bill