Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 win mag

.300 win mag

I have a sauer .270 and have applied for a .300 win mag, i have an ASE Utra .30 cal moderator on the .270 will this moderator fit the .300 win mag providing i get it threaded the same 1/2 unf.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmac02 View Post
    I have a sauer .270 and have applied for a .300 win mag, i have an ASE Utra .30 cal moderator on the .270 will this moderator fit the .300 win mag providing i get it threaded the same 1/2 unf.
    yes it will , im going to do exactly the same and share my ase north star from my 270 with my 300 win mag .

thats when norfolk eventually sent my ticket back !

If it is a .30 cal moderator and the thread is the same there is no reason why it won't fit. There are those who reccommend 5/8" thread for bigger calibres though due to the larger amount of metal left behind. EG my 7mm rifle has a 5/8" thread whereas my .243 (6mm) has a 1/2". Bit of a pain actually but I just have 2 moderators.

Well done LeeC you got there first!
    Last edited by devonoak; 30-12-2011 at 10:43. Reason: LeeC got there first

14x1mm is the best for magnum 30.cal rounds

where in scotland?
    very interested in the same combo.....almost ballistically identical with heavier bullets

You probably know this but remember to get the variation for the barrel AND mod, otherwise you will wrong side of mr plod as soon as you fit the mod.

not if he already has the mod

I have one mod and 6 calibres
    it is listed once, no issue with fitting to another rifle

I have just put in for a variation for .243 already have .270 with mod. The firearms Officer stated clearly I would need to put in for another mod for .243. I did say that I have seen others use Mods from different weapons and he stated that is illegal and Moderators need to be applied for on each caliber. I know the topic has been covered before but just seems different Firearms Officers interpret the law in different ways. I know which one I would follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatmuff View Post
    I have just put in for a variation for .243 already have .270 with mod. The firearms Officer stated clearly I would need to put in for another mod for .243. I did say that I have seen others use Mods from different weapons and
    he stated that is illegal and Moderators need to be applied for on each caliber.
    I know the topic has been covered before but just seems different Firearms Officers interpret the law in different ways. I know which one I would follow.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Whatmuff View Post
    I have just put in for a variation for .243 already have .270 with mod. The firearms Officer stated clearly I would need to put in for another mod for .243. I did say that I have seen others use Mods from different weapons and he stated that is illegal and Moderators need to be applied for on each caliber. I know the topic has been covered before but just seems different Firearms Officers interpret the law in different ways. I know which one I would follow.
    Rubbish - Ask (in writing) for the certificate to be varied so as to permit the use of the moderator on both rifles. If they refuse get it in writing. It's no good saying "he said/she said" it must be in writing and then you can do something about it. Many of us have moderators that we switch between rifles.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.