.300 win mag

jimmac02

I have a sauer .270 and have applied for a .300 win mag, i have an ASE Utra .30 cal moderator on the .270 will this moderator fit the .300 win mag providing i get it threaded the same 1/2 unf.

I have a sauer .270 and have applied for a .300 win mag, i have an ASE Utra .30 cal moderator on the .270 will this moderator fit the .300 win mag providing i get it threaded the same 1/2 unf.

yes it will , im going to do exactly the same and share my ase north star from my 270 with my 300 win mag .

thats when norfolk eventually sent my ticket back !

If it is a .30 cal moderator and the thread is the same there is no reason why it won't fit. There are those who reccommend 5/8" thread for bigger calibres though due to the larger amount of metal left behind. EG my 7mm rifle has a 5/8" thread whereas my .243 (6mm) has a 1/2". Bit of a pain actually but I just have 2 moderators.

Well done LeeC you got there first!

Last edited:

14x1mm is the best for magnum 30.cal rounds

where in scotland?
very interested in the same combo.....almost ballistically identical with heavier bullets

You probably know this but remember to get the variation for the barrel AND mod, otherwise you will wrong side of mr plod as soon as you fit the mod.

not if he already has the mod

I have one mod and 6 calibres
it is listed once, no issue with fitting to another rifle

I have just put in for a variation for .243 already have .270 with mod. The firearms Officer stated clearly I would need to put in for another mod for .243. I did say that I have seen others use Mods from different weapons and he stated that is illegal and Moderators need to be applied for on each caliber. I know the topic has been covered before but just seems different Firearms Officers interpret the law in different ways. I know which one I would follow.

I have just put in for a variation for .243 already have .270 with mod. The firearms Officer stated clearly I would need to put in for another mod for .243. I did say that I have seen others use Mods from different weapons and
he stated that is illegal and Moderators need to be applied for on each caliber.
I know the topic has been covered before but just seems different Firearms Officers interpret the law in different ways. I know which one I would follow.
:cuckoo::banghead::fib:

I have just put in for a variation for .243 already have .270 with mod. The firearms Officer stated clearly I would need to put in for another mod for .243. I did say that I have seen others use Mods from different weapons and he stated that is illegal and Moderators need to be applied for on each caliber. I know the topic has been covered before but just seems different Firearms Officers interpret the law in different ways. I know which one I would follow.

Rubbish - Ask (in writing) for the certificate to be varied so as to permit the use of the moderator on both rifles. If they refuse get it in writing. It's no good saying "he said/she said" it must be in writing and then you can do something about it. Many of us have moderators that we switch between rifles.

That's what I thought i said, He did say that the same moderator could be used but I still needed to apply on the variation for the different caliber to allow me to use the moderator with that caliber. Does that make sense? so I wouldn't need to buy another one I would just need to say I will be using a mod with that caliber. It just seems to me that all Firearms Officers have their own interpretation of the Law.

+1 - FWIW my FAC specifically states that I can use the same moderator on three rifles (Suffolk Constabulary).

Rubbish - Ask (in writing) for the certificate to be varied so as to permit the use of the moderator on both rifles. If they refuse get it in writing. It's no good saying "he said/she said" it must be in writing and then you can do something about it. Many of us have moderators that we switch between rifles.

That's what I thought i said, He did say that the same moderator could be used but I still needed to apply on the variation for the different caliber to allow me to use the moderator with that caliber. Does that make sense? so I wouldn't need to buy another one I would just need to say I will be using a mod with that caliber. It just seems to me that all Firearms Officers have their own interpretation of the Law.

balls
you have a mod listed on your FAC for ownership not for use
its a moderator, its either physically able to use on more than one weapon or not

FWIW - Sussex just write " Full Bore Moderator " , anything else is just being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic IMHO. The permitted calibre(s) are already described on the FAC.

K.I.S.S. ?

balls
you have a mod listed on your FAC for ownership not for use
its a moderator, its either physically able to use on more than one weapon or not

Well it doesn't sound like balls, My FAC states the .270 rifle, .270 moderator and ammunition shall be USED for shooting deer blah blah.... So that must be a condition on mine and not yours then. I'm only going by what my certificate states and what the Officer said I'm not after an argument just advice. Different constabularys obviously have different procedures and additional considerations.

FWIW - Sussex just write " Full Bore Moderator " , anything else is just being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic IMHO. The permitted calibre(s) are already described on the FAC.

K.I.S.S. ?

I know it seems really pedantic, and trying to have the certificate granted open as well. The mod and rifle on mine state the calibre as well, they must be touchy around here for some reason, if I have a mod then why do I have to justify its use on another rifle. They also want reason for a new calibre which I'm told I don't have to give either, only when getting the 1st rifle. That was advice BASC

Intresting !

You guys put suppressors on the 300 WIN MAG's . A friend of mine bought a nice used Remington 700 BDL DM stainless in 300 WIN MAG from me in the summer . He bought it mainly because it was stainless , with a detachable magazine and because it had a muzzle brake !

I've watched him shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards with that rifle and Berger 155 VLD's that was about 3/10ths of an inch . But with that muzzle brake that thing IS LOUD .

Personally I don't need a brake on my Ruger #1B 300 Win Mag or a suppresor .

Back