Maurauding roe deer

purdey24

Can anyone give a definative answer to the question, is a tenant farmer allowed to give a stalker permission to shoot maurauding roe deer in Scotland?
The circumstances are Scotland only,tenant farmer with far too many roe on his land, significant damage being done to root crops,stalking let to others who have far too much on their plate and never look near.
Also is night shooting permissable for maurauders?
Any information would be gratefully received.

First of all best to get written permission from landowner especially if stalking let out
There are laws where you can shoot but best to inform owners first,give them their chance first
As for night shooting,owner needs to apply for license not stalker

Purdey

I would be very carefull as you might get this wrong, and a whole lot of problems. My own understanding is that maurauding deer can only be shot on tennanted land by the tennant only (Farmer).

BirkG

From what I have read in the BDS handbook, night shooting would require a permit from Scottish Natural Heritage? The BDS manual also states the legal option for the landowner is as follows

Rights of Occupiers on Enclosed Land. In addition on enclosed land, the occupier may authorise out-of-season shooting in cases of serious damage to crops or timber.
Note: Out-of-season shooting may only be done in daylight and then only by the occupier, his family and servants without Scottish Natural Heritage authorisation. If the out-of-season shooting is to be done by anybody who is neither employed by the occupier nor resident on the land in question then that person must be authorised as a fit person by Scottish Natural Heritage.

Hope that helps

Okay, I'll ask the question.

Is it really 'marauding roe deer' that are damaging root crops? In this part of the world it's usually red deer that get stuck in when other food sources are scarce. Our roe deer are more selective browsers.

I would think it highly unlikely that a Tennanted Farmer has the right to shoot game,any lease I have seen has been "the tennant has the right to control vermin".
Its already been said! Tread carefully!

regards
Now

From what I have read in the BDS handbook, night shooting would require a permit from Scottish Natural Heritage? The BDS manual also states the legal option for the landowner is as follows

Rights of Occupiers on Enclosed Land. In addition on enclosed land, the occupier may authorise out-of-season shooting in cases of serious damage to crops or timber.
Note: Out-of-season shooting may only be done in daylight and then only by the occupier, his family and servants without Scottish Natural Heritage authorisation. If the out-of-season shooting is to be done by anybody who is neither employed by the occupier nor resident on the land in question then that person must be authorised as a fit person by Scottish Natural Heritage.

Hope that helps

The law has changed.

the law changes and commencements

Abolishing out of season shooting

First of all best to get written permission from landowner especially if stalking let out
There are laws where you can shoot but best to inform owners first,give them their chance first
As for night shooting,owner needs to apply for license not stalker

+1 I believe most tenants will not have deer stalking rights as part of their lease agreements... be very careful in case you get permission where the person giving said permission has no right to do so...
As new laws are been trashed out i would be interested to see where responsibility starts and stops

Back