Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out door pig units

Out door pig units

I wonder do any of you who have wild boar on your land also have out door pig units. In east anglia we have huge numbers of out door units and talking to my FLO he was sure that boar would never establish in this area because DEFRA would have them shot out because of the danger of cross infection to the Out door pig industry. I have been told that there are Boar in Norfolk now but not where, but have not heard of any in suffolk.

Do any of you have both and what in your oppinions is the likelyhood of my FLO being right.

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Mark, one was shot in Suffolk close to FC ground, as I stalk in Thetford I have a mandortary duty on my FAC to shoot one or any should they become resident, have also seen a roadkill young one on the A140 close to the A14 junction where the 50 mph camera is, I stopped on second sighting to confirm it was, then it was removed the following week. Next time you're at Philips if the black EofE Amb Service IT van is there say hello. deerwarden
    Last edited by deerwarden; 30-12-2011 at 22:03. Reason: spelling

Deerwarden thanks for that I will. With the speed that they spread we should have some close in the next few years then. unless the FLO is right.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk

Just out of curiosity here, (I used to keep free range outdoor Tamworth pigs myself) as all wild boar in this country are descended from farm escapes what diseases are they supposed to have that are not already present in the domestic pig herd anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Just out of curiosity here, (I used to keep free range outdoor Tamworth pigs myself) as all wild boar in this country are descended from farm escapes what diseases are they supposed to have that are not already present in the domestic pig herd anyway?
    If that's true I have no idea. I don't keep pigs. That said I was under the impression that these boar were escapees. I can see the logic. Foot dips lorry washes etc. If boar were aloud to wonder about the bio sercurity would be compromised , just like the rooks do. But are these boar in any parts of the country that have lots of out door units

Quote Originally Posted by bunwell wood shoot View Post
    If that's true I have no idea. I don't keep pigs. That said I was under the impression that these boar were escapees. I can see the logic. Foot dips lorry washes etc. If boar were aloud to wonder about the bio sercurity would be compromised , just like the rooks do. But are these boar in any parts of the country that have lots of out door units
    I should imagine the greatest nuisance would be litters of uncommercial wild boar cross pigs

It's all about disease control, you have to be 48 hrs clear of contact before travelling to different pig farm. Not law just common industry practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cry Havoc View Post
    It's all about disease control, you have to be 48 hrs clear of contact before travelling to different pig farm. Not law just common industry practice.
    Back in my pig keeping days you couldn't move any pigs out for 21 days after you had received some in, I don't know if that still holds true but I can see how the presence of wandering Boar would cause problems

Tim it's still in place, so here's a question if a wild pig wanders onto your farm, are your pigs on standstill for 21 days and the rest of your stock for 7 days.

I wonder do any of you who have wild boar on your land also have out door pig units. In east anglia we have huge numbers of out door units and talking to my FLO he was sure that boar would never establish in this area because DEFRA would have them shot out because of the danger of cross infection to the Out door pig industry. I have been told that there are Boar in Norfolk now but not where, but have not heard of any in suffolk.

Do any of you have both and what in your oppinions is the likelyhood of my FLO being right.

There was an incident approx 10 years ago where Some captive boar 'escaped' from Ashwellthorpe . At that time Norfolks policy was that boar where classed as dangeous animals . The police where called and all the boar shot on site.