Wipeout.

Moonraker68

I bought some wipeout 'patch out' and 'accelerator' a few months ago. I've put innumerable patches through a second-hand 6.5x55 rifle I bought during the summer, and these have been stained black, blue and green, and are now showing traces of a light brown crud. Is it necessary to keep going until I get clean patches from the outset, or is life just too short?

Thanks, I haven't done, but will order some and give it a go. The good thing is that the rifle seems to maintain zero between cleaning sessions.

Just beware the foam goes everywhere. 2 soaks with foam cleaned a barrel of a second hand gun I bought that I was getting very sick of putting patches through!

I have been using wipeout for a number of years, and usually I just apply accelerator then patch-out and the push patches through until the bore is dry. Don't worry about it being squeaky clean, you have removed just enough fouling to allow optimum accuracy. KG products are phenomenal cleaning products but they strip the bore back to bare metal and you have to foul the bore again before accuracy is restored, up to 11 shots as I have seen in a Sako 75 varmint 22-250, with wipeout one shot was slightly outside the group, the next four were virtually in the same hole. There is such a thing as too clean, especially in a factory barrel.

rather than the foam, you could just try and work up a foam with a nylon bristled brush. Out of interest, how long are you leaving the patch-out and accelerator to work in the bore before putting dry patches through?

Have never used wipe out but on used rifles that have copper fouling I scrub the bore using P-H 009 nitro solvent on a bronze brush them let it sit a while. hour say. The wipe it out and repeat. Once it's dry after the 2nd scrubbign I apply Forest Bore Foam and let it work with the rilfe muzzle down on a wad of tissue on an old news paper.

Then wipe it through and inspect. If fouling is still visible I repeat. The 1960 .270 BSA I picked up the other year took nearly three days yo get clean but I doubt it had even been more than wiped through with a cloth patch in it's whole life. I got it cheap as the barrel looked shot out. No try fouled out. The cleaning must have doubled the depth of the rifling. These are the first 6 shots after the cleaning:-

PA200056.jpg

The cleaning regime after depends on mu usage and when I am likely to shoot that particular rifle again. If it's going to be more than perhaps a week or two then I will clean the bore again and put it away. The rifle shot way high as my aiming point was the centre of the target.

Removing all that copper and powder fouling completely altered the POI by about 2" in elevation compounded by the use of different ammunition. Before the rifle was shooting 4" high wiht the ammunition I tried through it.

Last edited:
An hour is fine, but you can leave it to work overnight too. If you are still getting brown discoloured patches out, my guess is that it is stubborn carbon, so I would probably try some carburettor cleaner, KG-1 or carb-out down it. Whether it matters or not, I don't know, but I always want to strip all the crud I can out of a rifle and then lay down my own copper so that I can see how the rifle shoots best and adapt a cleaning regime accordingly.

Dry it out & try some Wynnes carb cleaner down it, leave for an hour or so & then scrub with a brass cored brush, patch out to dry , then Wipeout.

I've used Wipe-out in liquid form with the accelerant and found it to be very effective. For first time use leave it in the barrel overnight. You must use a nylon bristle brush.
Patches were navy blue indicative of copper fouling. Keep patching until they come out clean, severe crudding will take a little longer to clear. Subsequent cleaning requires a once through use of the accelerant only - depending on how much use the rifle gets. I use mine on a club range, about 20 rounds per session and I've found it to be a very effective method of keeping the barrel clean. Don't get it on the stock as it will remove any varnish very quickly!!

Back