Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sound moderator opinions please

sound moderator opinions please

Hi All ,

Would anyone care to offer their opinions on the quietest sound moderators for a .223 or a .243 cal

Any info would be great

Thanks
    Tommy

I have used a T8, DM80 and P8 on my .223.

They all sound about the same.

The T8 was the heaviest and is not calibre specific for the .223.

The P8 and DM80 are calibre specific (the P8 has different baffel inserts) and are both easy to strip and clean.

You can buy spare/replacement baffles for the P8 and if you speak to Dave Mercer he may sell you replacement parts for the DM80, although as mine has done over 2000 rounds and is still going strong I doubt you will need them.

The DM80 was the cheapest and I would recommend it.

The quietest .243 I have heard was with a T8 and a neoprene cover.

Dave

+1 for Daves comment. I have a T8 with a neoprene cover and its brilliant. The trick is to look after it.

Atec mods do a great job and no weight to them i would never go anywhere near a T8 far to heavy for no benefit !

I have an ASE Northstar for my 22/250. Fantastic, but much to heavy. ASE Jet Z seems to be best unless you go for an ultra light Roedale or the like.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Atec mods do a great job and no weight to them i would never go anywhere near a T8 far to heavy for no benefit !
    + 1, Get the new Atec over the barrel mod s/s in side.

like c d i have a heavy ase northstar and 2 T8s the T8 seem slightly quieter but need more maintainance .

Thanks lads , i will search for info on the one i haven't tried or heard out of the one you mention...........have a great new year everyone

I love most things about my Ase S5. Its on a working rifle and is as near bomb proof as a moderator could be. BUT, it is a weighty lump.

As with most things, it comes down to what you need for your particular circumstances. Maybe ultra quiet, maybe something light - or any point of balance between the two!

Like most RFDs we deal with Jackson rifles and have to say that the SL5 comes heavily recommended by them - and the specs look good. However, feedback from course guys/ clients and trade is glowing about the ATEC Maxim - which is I think the over barrel unit referred to above.

Relatively light, but with main gripe about burn out addressed by having steel internals. I had one for testing and liked it.

Stuff comes and goes on stock front and depends what we have used/ for test etc ( cant do with new ), but if you are in our direction then maybe able to sort out a try before buy.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017