Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 168g H'dy BTHP for red deer

168g H'dy BTHP for red deer

I've been using the Hornady 87g BTHP for roe in the .243 for a while, and can only say I've been exceptionally pleased with the results from both an accuracy, expansion, and price perspective.

I had originally intended to use a Nosler Partition 180g for the 30-06 for red deer, but have now noticed Hornady does a 168g BTHP. How do you think this might perform on reds?

The 168 grn HPBT is a match bullet, so not suitable for deer. The 87grn 243 bullet you mention is designed as a hunting hollow point. The 168 isn't.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

No Boat Tail Hollow Point is designed for hunting. They are match bullets & inherently unreliable for hunting due to potentially disintigrating on impact and failure to penetrate as a result.
    Buy proper hunting bullets and use them.

Oooops...Hornady profess some of their range to be suitable for hunting - I'm plainly 'Old fashioned' !! - is that a bad thing?

And now I'm having trouble getting used to the idea some hunting hollow points are out there !
    It's my age.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 08-01-2012 at 11:26.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Try the 85gr interbond in the 243 for both

''No Boat Tail Hollow Point is deisgned for hunting.''

Berger VLD...? theyre designed for hunting..

IMO i would say the problem with match bullets such as match kings etc which are hollow points is lack of expansion due to the small meplat, not that they blow up on the shoulder..

Ive shot a fair few roe with the VLD and they have worked well and also a couple of red stags, they equally as well on big reds!

It is worth checking though as i was given some PPU 168gn HPBTs for my .308 when i bought it, i was advised that they were hunting rounds but found them to be like knitting needles, on further inspection, they were actually target rounds. Im now less willing to take things at face value!
    Last edited by flyingfisherman; 08-01-2012 at 10:31.

I use Hornaday BTSP 150gr in my 30 cal with great results.

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    No Boat Tail Hollow Point is deisgned for hunting. They are match bullets & inherently unreliable for hunting due to potentially disintigrating on impact and failure to penetrate as a result.
    Buy proper hunting bullets and use them.

Oooops...Hornady profess some of their range to be suitable for hunting - I'm plainly 'Old fashioned' !! - is that a bad thing?
    Sierra 85gr HPBT(1530) is a hunting bullet ?

Quote Originally Posted by griffshrek View Post
    Sierra 85gr HPBT(1530) is a hunting bullet ?
    These are in the GameKing series, advertised as such, and prohibited 'expanding missiles' as far as target shooters are concerned .... so they match the description. As do Hornady 87gr BTHP (#2442).

There's so much confusion and misunderstanding on this score. The description on the packaging, (particularly the Berger range which always claims to be dual purpose) can't be relied on. This distinction isn't an issue in the States. They don't give a toss. It's your job to check the manufacturer's websites or other sources to be sure.

168gr BTHP PPU bullets are sold as Match so you do know what you're getting here.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

PKL
    Try the Sierra 165 Grain GameKing HPBT#2140. A proper Hollow Point Hunting Bullet. Very accurate from my 30-06 AI and performed superbly on Deer.

Yorkie.

I don't think you can say HPBT's are unsuitable for hunting, there are vast differences between them and some are specifically designed to both penetrate and expand in a controlled manner. Similarly, protected points with the SP depressed such as the Norma Vulkan are perfectly suitable for hunting.

My .243 87 H'dy HPBT's perform admirably on deer, 1.5" exit wound diameter on average, and always full penetration. Never seen a deer take more than one step after being hit in H/L area.

one of the most popular .243 factory deer rounds out there is the Federal Gameking (the red box), which is an 85g SGK HP.

the reason I am interested in a larger HPBT (ie. for the aught six), is due to how well it puts them down in the .243 - ie. they just drop, no messing about, no standing, wobbling, taking a step, running, etc. straight down and if culling hinds/calves, my thoughts were that I'd be able to have to drop-effect of neck shots, in my preferred H/L shot placement - therefore having the confidence to quickly move from one dropped beast to the next, without having to wait and check it doesn't need a follow up round, or that it runs, etc. etc.