Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric collars

Electric collars

I'm not looking to start a discussion or argument nor do I intend to justify my reasons for asking. I require an electric collar and would seek recomendations as to which brand/model users of same use or would recommend .

Dogtra.
    I have got an english bull terrier who was as stubborn as a mule. I bought a dogtra and tried it on my leg before I used it on my dog so I knew what the level of discomfort was. I then used it on him to stop him pulling on his lead. Within a few minutes he was noticably better.
    He was walking to heel within an hour and he now runs free and returns to me on voice commands.
    I still put the collar on him occasionally but never need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodmedod.one View Post
    Dogtra.
    I have got an english bull terrier who was as stubborn as a mule. I bought a dogtra and tried it on my leg before I used it on my dog so I knew what the level of discomfort was. I then used it on him to stop him pulling on his lead. Within a few minutes he was noticably better.
    He was walking to heel within an hour and he now runs free and returns to me on voice commands.
    I still put the collar on him occasionally but never need to use it.
    You should have put it round your neck and gave the wife the remote ,the people that use such draconian measures shouldn't own any animals .
    I've been training dogs for years that's mainly springers that other people say there un trainable there's no dog untrainable given time ,
    The problem with dog owners they want it at the drop of a hat just doesn't happen .

I've recently helped out a woman who has golden retrievers that she would like to be far more biddable as show dog and stud dogs the were a handful which drove her to distraction .she asked me for some pointers I helped her every day for a month now she is in charge of the dogs not the other way about .

It isn't hard it only takes time which as everyone knows to own a dog you must have .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    You should have put it round your neck and gave the wife the remote ,the people that use such draconian measures shouldn't own any animals .
    I've been training dogs for years that's mainly springers that other people say there un trainable there's no dog untrainable given time ,
    The problem with dog owners they want it at the drop of a hat just doesn't happen .

I've recently helped out a woman who has golden retrievers that she would like to be far more biddable as show dog and stud dogs the were a handful which drove her to distraction .she asked me for some pointers I helped her every day for a month now she is in charge of the dogs not the other way about .

It isn't hard it only takes time which as everyone knows to own a dog you must have .
    +1
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post

+2
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    A wonderful device,don't let the naysayers dissuade you mate.
    My three I have now were all introduced to a corrective collar and that is after a lifetime of breeding bush hunting dogs without one...fantastic to use (not abuse) as an aid.

I'm not saying i'm a great lover of electric collars, but I prefer the dog to be given a small zap other than a good thrashing............
    I hate to see dogs being kicked and slapped about on the shooting field. No need !!!
    Last edited by Cadex; 02-01-2012 at 17:19.

About 15 years ago i had to go into hospital for a fair time, i had to distribute my dogs a mixture of lab's / springers i used for picking up around various mates for the unforseeable future.
    One of these was a springer pup meg, to cut a long story short i was ill for a long time.
    When i was fit enough to have the dogs back the pup who had been on a farm was wild, it had been allowed to chase rabbits everyday and do its own thing so seemingly a lost cause.

I dont proffess to be a super field trial trainer but have produced a few half decent dogs so i set about this lost cause, i ended up pulling my hair out so last resort before the dog was detined for a pet i borrowed an electric collar.

I only used the unit for a week then the dummy collar for a fortnight and it worked !, it maybe a bit brutish i agree but this transformed the bitch and she turned out to be the best springer i have ever owned.

Never used one since wouldn't want to shouldnt need to but as a last resort i would, in some circumstances as above they have thier place. DF
    Last edited by Double four; 01-01-2012 at 08:04.

My jack russel was desperate to kill my peacocks, tried everything, borrowed a collar and used it for one day, now she ignores them unless they come in the garden, only zapped her twice. You have to use them with care and they are open to abuse as they need to be used with normal training methods

Plenty on the market fella so have a good look around.Top device if used correctly and sparringly and only for problems you cant rectify any other way.