Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are moderators ever a requirement

Are moderators ever a requirement

Having had a go with a 7mm08 (Thanks to Tikka 260) and decided that this is a good calibre for me, and also having tried the Browning X-Bolt at Bisley Live and decided on the make and model of rifle, I now come to the question of Moderator - this is not a case of which one to get, but a case of if I get one at all.

I would be very grateful if folks could let me know if moderators are viewed as something everyone should have and if there are grounds where they are a specific requirement.

I would not want to turn up somewhere to stalk with my rifle, only to be advised "Sorry, we only allow moderated rifles here". Basically I don't want to make a schoolboy error if this is something that is taken for granted knowledge

If they are not required then this means the rifle will cost less, giving me more money to sink into a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 BT scope.

All i can say is i have the XBOLT in 30-06 and although i bought a sound mod i dont use it as it unbalances the rifle.
    As to your question regarding requirements stipulating a mod the obvious is to ask the question before you go.
    Somebody was on here advertising in the past week and insisted on a moderated rifle.
    I do not insist on it when i take clients out.
    When i eventually get to Montana mods are banned so it wont be a problem to me.
    Cheers
    Richard

Speak up a bit i can't hear you......

As reddot says if you like your hearing get one! Reduces muzzle flip aswell, also doesnt tell everyone where you are!

I suppose the best thing to do is lash out the extra 130 on the rifle to have it threaded (Browning insist on them doing it, if you have it done after purchase it invalidates their warranty) and then if I need a moderator I can get one later. I was just looking at saving the 130 to go towards glass, but I think it makes sense to get the rifle in threaded format right from the off, then I always have the choice.

I take the point about hearing (eh? what?) and was thinking of the ear defenders with the electronics in to be able to hear what's scurrying about as I have read elsewhere on here a lot of people find them very useful as they hear more with the amplification they provide.

Thanks very much for the input and opinions folks, very much appreciated as always

I have them on all of mine and never used them without. You always take it with you where as you are at some point likely to forget your ear defenders. A lot of places are also as that you use them. I like my hearing too much.

adjman: Just incase you've overlooked the fact that if you want a mod you'll have to get a slot put on your FAC to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by adjman View Post
    I suppose the best thing to do is lash out the extra 130 on the rifle to have it threaded (Browning insist on them doing it, if you have it done after purchase it invalidates their warranty) and then if I need a moderator I can get one later.
    Quote Originally Posted by wood
    A lot of places are also as that you use them
    Wow. That factory-option price seems very stiff, but car makers are obviously finding mugs who'll pay ten times that to have a dashboard installed SatNav rather than buy a TomTom. Then there is 300+ for the moderator of course. The lure of the 'should' argument incurs a price penalty which you have to bear.

As for the 'mandatory' .... if you have to pay for accompanied stalking and moderators are a must-have, then there's no need to join in that game. Plenty of other places have more sense, so just look elsewhere. I'd give up stalking if fitted moderators ever became universal, and feel the same about DSC2.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

i hate moderators. if you are stalking dont really see the need .

atb steve

Sadly the HSE and the planners are putting requirements on the compulsory use of sound mods of some ranges. I have seen some places offering stalking insisting on their use. So better be ready JIC.