Recommend a NV monocular ?

nick100

Can any one one recommend me a monocular, just got a gen 3 scope. Its an awesome bit of kit, but I have tried spotting foxes with the lamp and then calling or trying to get closer. But they are just clearing off.

I was wondering wether the yukon stuff is worth a look ?
Budget would be about £500 if this would cover something.
I obviously only need to be able to spot foxes as the scope gives me more than enough clarity to double check/id for sure.

TIA

Nick.

You could keep it cheap with a fairly basic mono (gen1, 2 or Digital) and some black glass on your lamp, cluson do a quick flip lense for theres. The only possible problem is that you will see is with a gen 1 you could struggle to pick up anything but eyes beyond 100yds. This just means you have to squeak to get them looking at you!

Thanks, Munty hunter, could really do with seeing a bit further.
Its not a problem with the scope to check baits, but anything else is driving me mad :banghead:

Hi my mate just got a pulsar recon 550 (gen 2 @ approx £330),with added IR torch,I watched a fox come down a hedge row towards us the other night.
This unit (with additional torch IR) works approx 180-200y,(id not just eyes)
He also has dipol laser on his gen 1 addon,looking at the laser IR through pulsar,you could turn down the brightness on the digital monocular giving even better picture.

What Gen 3 scope are you using ? as i also use US Gen 3 scopes and if im not using my pvs14/mini 14 monoculars for scanning i use my lightforce lamp with either red or amber filter and ive never really had any probs ? use it for spotting once we spot fox lamp off..call lamp on after a wee while..spot fox again lamp off and so on till its getting into range..then i get behind the NV on the rifle and carry on till i get fox into a safe shot.

me and my mate use an archer with 3 lenses on the front its awesum we can see foxes easily out to 600 yrds what we do and this does work is spot the fox with the n v either wait or walk in on them till they about 100yrds then use the lamp most of the time and i do say most they so shocked that they just stand and look at light but we use a night force with adjustable power switch so we turn the lamp on very slowly we know where it is and that its safe as soon as you can see eyes or body let fly the lamp never more than half power when the strike comes back had 3 last nite usuing this method if alll else fails and they run shout OI very loud they often stop long enough for a shot cheers stu

Markg , the pulsar sounds interesting.

Mickyfinn, I am using an ATN mars 6, I had one of my problem foxes on sat morning whist out stalking, well I hope it was off out in a min so will see.
I was hoping to use the lamp to spot and then call in, but I have got a couple I have been after for years.
The trouble is we have spotted them up to 3 or 400 yards away and they just run. That is with a filter on.

My next plan is to start baiting and then either sit and wait or move around and just check baits from a distance.

Thanks for all the replies.

its a grade 1 archer unit but has lenses on the front big camera lenses we bought it like it cant tell you any more other than you can see charlie at 500 600 yards no problem

I have just put a bucket with a wire 2" wire mesh top on it, it's full of turkey heads/guts and a couple of pheasants.
My theory being they can pull at bits through the mesh. God does it smell.
Will report back how I get on with it.
1st time baiting properly, usually just use fox pro.

An ATN Mars 6 Gen3 is an interesting scope. I have something similar myself.
Did you have problems getting it into the UK?

Quick update,
On talking to Paul at Scott Country I decided on a Yukon Pro Ranger monocular,:thumb:
It does take a bit of getting use to, but so far am very pleased. You just need to remember to tweak the brightness and focus to get the best picture.
Its range is said to to be 500m under ideal conditions, but under no moon on a dark night I reckon it works out to 300m.
The one think I have learnt is not to put on the IR unless you really need to. Then only to look for eye shine in the distance.
Called a fox in the other night, turned IR on at about 100m, result fox legged it.:banghead:
Any way just got first vixen with new scope :D, it's been a long time, just goes to show patience is needed.
Came to a vixen in heat call downloaded from on here, so thanks guys. I had been after this one for months now.
ATB

Nick

Back