My Dream Rifle

Ah!
Well, I once worked at a gunshop and one of my fellow employees had the yen for an engraved Model 71 Winchester in 348 Winchester. He couldn't begin to afford it so he bought a standard, plain, model 71 and a year later had it rust blued. The next year he hired an engraver to put his initials in the left side of the receiver in gold. A few years later I saw the rifle again and he'd added to the engraving and inlay... a little at a time. I never saw him or his Model 71 again but I'm told that when he died, it had fancy checkered walnut and a cohesive, well executed engraving. The rifle sold for over $4K US. It became a life long work for the guy but he died happy. Food for thought.~Muir

lovely rifle or should i say mortar :-| i had a boss who had one or something very similar the ballistics of it were 'interesting' to say the least :stir:

Just think about the kick, the skimpy butt and steel butt plate. Admittedly firing it once would have been the best way to get over the attraction.:cool:

Ah!
Well, I once worked at a gunshop and one of my fellow employees had the yen for an engraved Model 71 Winchester in 348 Winchester. He couldn't begin to afford it so he bought a standard, plain, model 71 and a year later had it rust blued. The next year he hired an engraver to put his initials in the left side of the receiver in gold. A few years later I saw the rifle again and he'd added to the engraving and inlay... a little at a time. I never saw him or his Model 71 again but I'm told that when he died, it had fancy checkered walnut and a cohesive, well executed engraving. The rifle sold for over $4K US. It became a life long work for the guy but he died happy. Food for thought.~Muir

Certainly is food for thought!

sorry chaps,not my cup of tea,john wayne would have,,my fav rifle also on guntrader though,accuracy international in 308 in green

I have never done it but I always feel that an under-leaver rifle would make an ideal choice for driven boar...

I have never done it but I always feel that an under-leaver rifle would make an ideal choice for driven boar...

My thought exactly. I fully intend to own a 45-70 in the next few years for just such a purpose. Well that and for number 32 on my bucket list, hunt bison on the Great Plains with a lever action. I doubt it'll be with this particular thing of beauty, but perhaps with a personalised Marlin 1895 as per Muir's suggestion!

My thought exactly. I fully intend to own a 45-70 in the next few years for just such a purpose. Well that and for number 32 on my bucket list, hunt bison on the Great Plains with a lever action. I doubt it'll be with this particular thing of beauty, but perhaps with a personalised Marlin 1895 as per Muir's suggestion!

I think I put this up before but this is my boy with his 1895 Cowboy .45-70. (a gift from St, Nick) It has a 26" octagonal barrel and is a very, very accurate rifle. If you got one of these, and tastefully embellished it, you'd have a fine rifle. And when you're ready to shoot that bison, i can point you in the right direction! ~Muir
AndyandMarlinJanO7REDREd.jpg

Last edited:
Now I can dream of owning this one:-

Model1923BSAHigh-powerCaliber33BSARHS.jpg

BSA Model 1923 Hi Velocity chambered in .33 BSA.

Think .338 Winchester but some 30 years earlier than Winchester. BSA built them on P-14 ex Military actions reworked totally. The cartridge used the light for calibre Express way of thinking and the .33 used a 165 grain bullet at 3,000 fps if I recall correctly. Bad timing just prior to the Great depression and with apathy from a large section of the public after the Great War it was not a good time to launch such radical cartridges so few were made. Winchester re-discovred the idea soem 30 odd years later and well as history show :rolleyes:.

I have seen one of these before but that one had a larger/longer set of express leaves set into a full length "Cape Rib" on the barrel as well as the dual pop up peer sight in the rear bridge. How I kick myself for not securing that one :doh:.

Next would be a nice cased example of a Ross 1907 or M10/1910 in .280 Ross. Again although it was not cased a nice example of a M10 slipped away thanks to a greedy dealer who after taking a deposit then accepted a higher offer for it. He now wonders why i never stop by his stall at the gun shows.

I dont have a dream rifle,(as such) but that is a nice looking rifle.

but if i had enough money, i would love to have neil (McKillop Rifles) build me my perfect .20 tactical with all new bits,small compact and with a full lenght over barrel moderator system i have an idea on, i have a custom one now but how nice would it be to have the money to just nod your head at every question to do with cost's, a dream, more like a wish that would only come true on my death bed me tinks,

bob.

I know three stalkers who occassionally use a 45/70 GVT on deer. I saw one carcass and you could have eaten up to the exit hole, there was no blood blistering around the wound at all. Big and slow works, has done for many years, still does in Africa, but has gone out of fashion here.

It is a round which can be used by those who know how to stalk, no good for the tacticool bunch who want to dial in and like shooting at XXXX metres. But get close enough and it will drop anything up to bear, big bears too. It is a proven killer of anything that moves in the nothern hemisphere.

I think I would prefer a hand built "Best" English gun as my dream rifle, but I cannot fault your choice Liam, it is a splendid rifle.

As we are posting links there is one rifle on guntrader that I would love to own, not my all time dream rifle, but it does float my boat; http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/111117150311001

Simon

I think I put this up before but this is my boy with his 1895 Cowboy .45-70. (a gift from St, Nick) It has a 26" octagonal barrel and is a very, very accurate rifle. If you got one of these, and tastefully embellished it, you'd have a fine rifle. And when you're ready to shoot that bison, i can point you in the right direction! ~Muir

I am a complete America-phile, my bucket list includes four sporting trips to the US, so I might be asking for your help in the not too distant future! That is a fine looking rifle your lad has, St Nick has yet to bring me anything so nice!

St Nick isn't very "politically correct" when he visits my house. That S&W "N" frame .357 hanging on his hip (Junior's favorite gun, I think) came in his stocking the year before the Marlin. Last year, St Nick spent many long hours casting several hundred Lyman 330 grain Hollow points for that Marlin, and also managed to find him a classic Lee Loader in 45-70 so that he can make his loads when away from the bench. That 330 grain can smoke right along from that rifle. From my Siamese Mauser 98 in 45-70? Instant death!

Let me know about the hunt. I have friends in the Rosebud Sioux Tribe (in South Dakota) that can set you up.~Muir

Think I've just secured my dream shooting iron!
DSC00965.jpg

It'll take me back to the glory days of my youth!
MeandDanWeyman.jpg

DSCF0134.jpg

Gonna stick a Schmidt 6x42 PM onto it, the scope is on my Sako at the moment, but it's originally from an AI L96:
AfterBlackShadow.jpg

Back