Deer and the Weather

adjman

On the way in to work this morning I saw a group of Fallow that often congregate to graze on some pony fields just outside Pulborough. It was blowing a 40mph gale and tipping it down - as a complete novice in the deer world I was surprised they were out and about in this sort of weather and wondered if this is usual - I would have expected them to be seeking cover in such bad weather, but there they were happily grazing.

Interested to see if this is common behaviour or a bit out of the ordinary?

On the way in to work this morning I saw a group of Fallow that often congregate to graze on some pony fields just outside Pulborough. It was blowing a 40mph gale and tipping it down - as a complete novice in the deer world I was surprised they were out and about in this sort of weather and wondered if this is usual - I would have expected them to be seeking cover in such bad weather, but there they were happily grazing.

Interested to see if this is common behaviour or a bit out of the ordinary?

Deer have to eat...

Exactly, just like us they have to eat and if possible find some shelter.
Food in the woods is becoming more limited so they must turn their attentions to the fields.
Think where you would go in this weather and that is probably where you will find the deer.
Lee side of woods and hedgerows, bottom of sheltered valleys, the list goes on.
So i am off out later.
Cheers
Richard

I did wonder if it was that they were just rather peckish this morning :) Thanks chaps :)

Fallow are very seasonal with their habits, for the past 20yrs years we have been culling about 120 each year. During December & January they tend to form large groups and live on windy hills. I was told by a German that this was due to a hormone/hair change and they like these areas because the hormone change makes them very nervous(better protection). I have a group of about 160 that are on one of the most open pieces of ground in the area and are on top of a hill. They will move off about the second week in February (depending on weather). For this time of year this is normal behaviour for fallow.

Last edited:
Back