Stalking in Lake District

Dovebob

All,

I've booked a week's holiday at a cottage just outside Hawkshead in the Lakes, in late April / early May. I like to have a day out stalking when I'm on holiday in the UK. Could anyone reccomend a guide in that area. I am not bothered about what species and I'm not particularly interested in trophies - just a day out with good company and the chance of a deer is enough.

I've seen a website for a place called Forest Hall Farm / Estate. The site looked quite old, but the pricing structure seems very complicated compared with what I'm used to. It looks pricey too.

I'd be grateful for any reccomendations on this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bob

They would be who I would suggest and they are close to hawshead. BASC have a permit scheme at thirlmere that is accompanied and not too far away. Lowther estates also take people out but its pricey and further away. If neither of these are any good then send me a pm as there is someone else that I could put you in touch with but i would need to phone him first to check its ok to give out his details.

Cheers

S

Lindow Estates google will give you there website they are excellent, good numbers about and Geoff and Jill are really good to deal with.

Jonathan Standing would be my firm recommendation. Excellent stalker, good company and a talented taxidermist. I will happily pm you his number if you like. .

Might be worth contacting Jonathan direct to check prices and how they are calculated? I know he has quite a bit of ground, both hill and woodland, and he was pretty reasonable when I stalked with him in November 2010.

Last edited:
Lindow Estates google will give you there website they are excellent, good numbers about and Geoff and Jill are really good to deal with.
I too was fortunate enough to meet Geoff and Gill of Lindow Estates and have a days stalking with Geoff a while ago. Excellent down to earth guy with some nice land/woodland to stalk or high seats if that floats your boat.

Thank you for all your replies and PM's on this. I've got some great leads to follow up, so thank you for your help. Its much appreciated.

UPDATE - Just spoke to Jonathan and he can take me out, so looking forward to that. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited:
Pm sent
but you know already mate

I have known Johanthan for four years he is a great bloke.

Have stalked with him 28 times culled 25 in the stalking.
He has done quite a few bits of taxidermin work for me includudeing two shoulder mounts.

weeman

How did you get on up there Bob? I will be in the Lakes for a week in January (I know... a long way off) but I'd be grateful for some of your advice and tips since your visit. I'll only be looking for one full day out as I'll be with family for the most part.

Thanks,

Dave

Back