Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: learning trigger release

learning trigger release

evening.

i am starting reloading and wonder how loud a primer discharged through a rifle is. the only reason i ask is as primers are cheap weather i could prime my brass then go out in the garden and use the primed brass to practice/learn my rifles trigger release.
    i know you can get snap caps for rifles but just wondered if the primers would work

Louder that you might think. On your P-H dry firing won't hurt it.

If you get the chance the read the chapter on trigger control in Whelen's "The Hunting Rifle" it's well worth the read.

ive been lead to believe that dry firing with most modern day CF rifles isnt a problem.. You could just use a spent case.. its cheaper than using primers!!

thanks for replies. i had a-zoom snap caps for my 243 which were ok but soon got chewed up. would a spent primer still slow the firing pin. i know on my cz 452 the firing pin is more like a brick than a pin so wouldnt be to worried by dry firing that but not had my parker hale bolt apart so wasnt sure how sturdy it was

Dry firing a bolt action rifle is not comparable with a shotgun, forget about snapcaps/spent rounds etc. dry firing onto an empty chamber is o.k. - just make sure it is empty before firing! atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    thanks for replies. i had a-zoom snap caps for my 243 which were ok but soon got chewed up. would a spent primer still slow the firing pin. i know on my cz 452 the firing pin is more like a brick than a pin so wouldnt be to worried by dry firing that but not had my parker hale bolt apart so wasnt sure how sturdy it was
    It might be B/S but I read somewhere that it wasn't advisable to repeatly dry fire a rimfire because the pin is striking the side of the chamber which could deform it.

Jimo - spot on - on rimfires tends to peen ( did I spell that right? ) the side of the chamber and I have seen chipped firing pins - possibly work hardened?

On most centre fires, shouldn't be a problem on a properly maintained rifle. Using primed - spent or otherwise cases - can cause a problem - pin will eventually cut into primer and possibly strike the anvil within. On balance, better thin air - but best still is a quality snap cap - I'll let you know if I find one at a price that isnt eye watering!

The issues with dry firing were that some steels could become brittle, but more commonly some actions could see the pins enlarging the firing pin hole in the bolt face - either through off centre travel or if pin broadened too quickly - so rearward portion of pin impacted. On unserviced bolts, there can be debris/ crud that either causes pin to stick or acts as a grinding medium.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

thanks for replies. the trigger on my stalking rifle is pretty good but would like to know it as well as my rimfire dont even hesitate or pull as i use it so much more

Join a shooting club with range facilities and get to know your rifle better. There must be one reasonably close to your location. See the NRA Bisley website member clubs and contact details may well be listed.

just use an empty cartridge, I use one in my 22 and it rarely hits the same spot twice
    my 243 has an off centre pin so the same happens.

or you just hold the trigger when you close the bolt if you dont want to put it away cocked