Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modification of the U Caller part 2 with pictures

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

Modification of the U Caller part 2 with pictures

Ok lads well here we have 2 that are the same apart from my one on the right has been modded to give it a longer range of control.
    Attachment 11332

the first thing we have to do is open the back by removing the 6 screws, all 6 are star type with 4 of them hidden behind the battery compartment door, please be carfull not to loose these as they are very small and hard to replace,
    Attachment 11333

I leave the batteries in the back section at this point so that they don't get lost,

the next thing we do is expose the internals of the unit ready for the modification to be done.note: at this point the batter pack power leads (red and black) are still connected to the unit, at the top of the left hand section there is the coiled up antenna (the white thing) this is the bit that will be trimmed later on.

Attachment 11334

the next thing to do is to remove and keep hold of the on off switch knob and the cover for the external speaker output, those are the 2 items on the top right of the picture, the larger one is the one that always breaks so don't worry they all do it.

Attachment 11335

the next picture shows you the location of the Antenna in the unit and where its connected to the PCB,we have to trim this shorter a bit late so for now ?

PLEASE DO NOT CUT IT OFF HERE I WILL SHOW YOU LATER

Attachment 11336
    the screwdriver is pointing to the ant connection point.this part is not loose and will stay put when you are working on it, so the is no need to panic (that comes later.)

the pext picture shows you the internal Antenna layed out along side the new Antenna,

a note at this point, i have tried the unit with the white Antenna as you see it but i only got about 50 yards from it and i lost the control of the base unit,

the next thing we have to do is remove the unwanted section of white Antenna and solder a loop to it so that we can connect it to the new Antenna, we also need to drill a hole in the top of the unit (front section/1/2) to allow the installation of the new Antenna,

the hole needs to be 1mm wider than the new Antennas base section and in this case its 9mm so i had to use a 8mm drill and then open the hole out with a small round file,this you will see in the next photo, after this one,

Attachment 11338
    this photo shows the old white Antenna and the new one to be fitted along side it.

Attachment 11339this one shows the 8mm hole drilled in the front section of the unit.

Attachment 11340this one shows you the white Antenna trimmed about 3/4" from the PCB so that we can use it to connect to the new Antenna, at this point i also solder the loop to it ready for that connection.

Attachment 11341 this picture here shows the new Antenna in location connected to the old wire Antenna,

We have to hold this in position with a home made small bracket and some HOT glue, you must take care in a bit NOT to get glue on the internal speaker when you are filling the gap shown next with HOT glue.

NOTE: we i use HOT glue as it can be removed with care, any other glue may cause you issues later if you need to replace the Antenna/fix it etc.

Attachment 11342 this is the location where the HOT glue is placed as seen in the next picture.

Attachment 11343 Hot glue in location, you may have to fill it 2 or three times depending on the glue you use etc.

NOTE: i have kept the HOT glue away from the speaker by holding it tilted towards the Antenna when filling it up.

Attachment 11344

At this point the new Antenna is fitted and the glue is setting at this point i would leave it for about 10 minutes to cool and set hard, i have also soldered the power cables back in place ready to get the unit back together,

Attachment 11345

Now the unit is back together by replacing the screws batteries and battery cover and the switches back in place, but be carful when screwing it back together the screws are small and will keep tuning if you are to heavy handed and then you have problems with a unit that will fall apart,

the final thing to do is to fit a outer sleeve over the Antenna and glue it in place, (the small black thing at the bottom of the Antenna, this adds a strong point to the Antenna base holding it to the top of the unit,

I then cover the tip of that antenna with a small rubber cap to prevent you geting hurt etc in the dark,

so what do we need to do this,

TOOLS.

Attachment 11346

1, new Antenna, these can be found on a old radio control car, or from maplins for about 5+ shipping

2, a soldering iron and solder.

3, a small star screwdriver.

4, a HOT glue gun and glue stick.

5, a small pair of pliers.

6, a small pair of cable cutters.

7, the unit you are doing the work too and its controller (for testing later)lets hope we can take it to 400 yards,

the job should take you about 30 minutes from start to finish, if you can use a soldering iron and a glue gun. you have to take care with the unit at all times as its not the best made thing on the market, but it works and with the modification done it works even better,

I hope to test it tomorrow night when out shooting so i will report back.

the cost for me to do this was nothing as i had the Antenna in the tool box but you will only need to spend about 10 in total to do this yourself,

so good luck lads and lassies.

hope you like it.

thank you

bob.
    Last edited by bobjs; 03-01-2012 at 23:10.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

nice write up that very easy to follow .i have done a few fish finders the same way. thanks for sharing, wayne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    nice write up that very easy to follow .i have done a few fish finders the same way. thanks for sharing, wayne
    you are welcome mate.

we all need to share this sort of stuff really

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Blog Entries
    could one of the moderators change the title on this thread,

to

modification of the U Caller part 2 with pictures.

cheers guys,

some people have asked where the thread is and i have named it badly.

bob.

PS: tests now working the unit from 400 yards (well just under it 394 to be prezactamundo)

I've just made the best modification possible to a U-Caller Xtreme(not the same model i know), it's called a Foxpro all joking aside, this thread is exellent,well illustrated and even an idiot of my calibre could follow it, fair play to you bob for sharing it
    Tikkat3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    I've just made the best modification possible to a U-Caller Xtreme(not the same model i know), it's called a Foxpro all joking aside, this thread is exellent,well illustrated and even an idiot of my calibre could follow it, fair play to you bob for sharing it
    Tikkat3
    thank you sir, and a big thanks to the moderators for sorting out the thread title.

i have a new project in hand and its called the triple C,

i can't say to much but lets say that its cheap, i hope easy to build, and can be done by almost anyone,

i did think of making some of these and selling them, but i have enough shooting/fishing/and hamradio bits to sell without the triple C.

bob.

Nice one Bob, once i get a glue gun i'll set to work on mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Munty Hunter View Post
    Nice one Bob, once i get a glue gun i'll set to work on mine.
    nice one mate,

its not to hard to do, i have done 3 now and all work out past the 350 mark,

just wish the wind would let up here so i could get out shooting,

bob.

Is it ok to post mine to u after i break it trying to do the mod?

job done, I have left mine with just the wire aerial stuck out the hole and put some glue in the hole to stop it snaping off on the board. Used some old plastic straw like on a RC toy to support the upper aerial and topped it with a mini bullet connector. This means i can push an extension (wire coat hanger) in if needed, but it works well out to 140 metres which will be fine for me.
    Cheers Bob top tip.