Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my terrier billy

my terrier billy

Attachment 11350can any of the vets on here offer any advice i have a 13 month old smooth fox terrier who has
    been diagnosed with salivary adenitis and for the last seven months has been vomiting puddles
    of foamy slimy spittal i have been to my vet several times billy has had blood taken a camera shoved down him
    a biopsy and several different types of tablet some which i cannot name but antirobe was one
    which stopped the vomiting for ten days then back to square one same as every other tablet we have been given
    he is now into his second month of epiphen wich has cut down the vomiting from 20 odd times a day to 2 or 3
    times a day my vet says its a rare symptom and spoke with a friend at the royal college vetinary
    who said they see about 2 or 3 cases per annum trouble is i cant seem to get e straight answer
    because none of them seem to know much about this type of symptom because of it being rare its a grey area
    i cant take billy any where because he seems to vomit more if he gets excited ie dont even reach end of cul de sac
    before he has vomited 2 or 3 times or a ride in the van means a van load of vomit my vet assures me that bill is not
    in any pain i would not have perseveerd 7 months if he was in pain but he does look pretty misserable for about an hour or so
    after having his tablets twice a day i lost a terrier last january in a horrific accident and bought billy to replace her then
    this happens i know that by putting this on the forum is a shot in the dark but i hope some one may be able to throw
    some light on the situation or may be have come across a dog that had same and no i wont have him put down
    unless its the only thing left to do i love this little dog more than life itself and would gladly sell everything i own
    to have him right again

thankyou to any one who has taken time to read this i will keep hoping atb foxxer
    Last edited by d foxxer; 04-01-2012 at 02:24.

Hi
    Is billy putting on weight alright thats the main thing , if he is thats great . I would be inclined to kick the vet into touch, try the dog on half a Gaviscon tablet on a morning and half at night and try to make sure he does not eat any grass and just give him small portions of food but often (3 to 4 times a day).
    Now i,m not a vet just sombody who has had lots of terriers this is just my opinion which i think will help plus its a cheap fix sounds like no more than a nervous stomach
    just woundering is billy epileptic (ie the tablets the vet has given him)
    hope this helps
    Long range Foxing reach out and touch the red fellas

dully thanks for getting back to me and yes bill is fat as a barrel because i cant take him any where because of the vomiting
    i tried again last night he vomited 6 times walking up the road then wouldnt walk any more i had to carry him home
    he is not epileptic but the epiphen that he is on is for treatment of epilepsy as well the vets reckon its his brain sending
    messages to his saliva glands to make more saliva one vet said they could take out some of his salival glands for 1.000
    the other vet said no because the remaining glands will only make more saliva and cant take his brain out obviously
    so they reckon the only course is to try and control it with drugs and when i ask is there a cure they cant answer me
    i have been to 3 different vets over the last seven months and back to my original vet i am not knocking them as it seems
    to be a rare symptom that they have little knowledge of because of its rareity the epiphen are helping but not completely
    his appetite is good he eats like a stag but if he gets excited up it comes like a fire extinguisher

but thanks for your input i am off to get some gaviscon many thanks atb foxxer

ask your vet if the vets research place in bristol would like a look at your dog . Hope you get him sorted out

hope it sorts him you should see an inprovement in a couple of days if its going to work (fingers crossed for ye )
    Long range Foxing reach out and touch the red fellas

I don't know anything about this condition BUT don't start messing about with the dog's medication with unsubstantiated hearsay from an internet forum. If you want to try a different medication talk it through with your vet before you do anything. Even some simple over the counter indigestion remedies can interact with other drugs.

This is far more that 'a nervous stomach'.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Hi Foxxer, sorry to hear about this. Sialadenosis is, as you've said not common. I've seen one case, but it was a while ago and I cannot recall the outcome. The epiphen is there because many of these cases respond to it (not for epilepsy treatment, although excess salivation is associated with fitting). Are the salivary glands (around his lower jaw) enlarged?

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Hi Foxxer, sorry to hear about this. Sialadenosis is, as you've said not common. I've seen one case, but it was a while ago and I cannot recall the outcome. The epiphen is there because many of these cases respond to it (not for epilepsy treatment, although excess salivation is associated with fitting). Are the salivary glands (around his lower jaw) enlarged?
    hi buchan thankyou for your reply the glands in bills neck are enlarged but not in his lower jaw the vet always feels around his neck below
    his ears i think he referred to they as lymph glands many thanks atb foxxer

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    ask your vet if the vets research place in bristol would like a look at your dog . Hope you get him sorted out
    thankyou trouble i didnt know there was a place in bristol that did vet research i will ask my vet to contact them and see if they could help

many thanks foxxer

Apache would know about the place , a mate took a terrier there years back , it had TB , they removed a lung and got the dog right but because they use it for training or reasurch you dont pay full price for tricky opps . Let us know how ya get on with the little chap