Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case for firearms

Case for firearms

This year i will be traveling more frequant with my firearms, normally i take one or two rifles, this year i will need to travel with two rifles ( sako and tikka ) and one shot gun ( over and under ) now im trying to find the best way to get them all in one case, need to keep the size and weight down, any ideas ? Iv seen some people while at airports with very small cases and manged to squeeze two rifles in but never had a chance to speak with them. I would be very greatfull if anyone can come up with some good ideas, i have a peli case which is very big and bulky bit i would struggle to get three guns into it.

Its a shame you didnt get a reply as im also interested in anybodies personal experience with cases suitable for flying!!!
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Its a shame you didnt get a reply as im also interested in anybodies personal experience with cases suitable for flying!!!
    Me too!
    Montana trip hopefully
    Cheers
    Richard

I would of said a peli, but never ben lucky enough( or in real life allowed to buy one ;0) are you flying or in a car???

I use a Peli, which as you said, is bulky and heavy. However, its realy strong and well made. I think you will struggle to find a case of this quality which will hold 3 guns.

The first time I flew with my rifles I used a Winchester alluminium case (supplied by Sportsmans). Had to take the scopes off to get them in. When I picked up the case after clearing customs it had gained a few dings (obviously been subjected to some rough treatment)!

On the next trip I used a couple of MTM cases (Ex Callum at Precision Rifles). These were better due to more padding inside. I still took the scopes off as a precaution against misstreatment. You need to grab an airport trolly to carry these and all your normal luggage!

A couple of American freinds had stainless steel cases made. These are much shorter and all they do is strip down their rifles. On arrival they simply re-assemble and re-zero. This looked about the best I've seen so far.

One other thing to consider is to have your kit flown out by a specillist like Garry Cosstllo at PBS.

hillside

SD Regular
    I think the challenge you set was the two rifles and a shotgun - not a common theme and as you've already said, Peli is the standard. I've never needed to carry more than two at a time, so no experience - I guess you need to decide the smallest space you are happy with packing your guns into and go from there? Some may feel there are cases that will do it that you don't and vice versa
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuck270 View Post
    This year i will be traveling more frequant with my firearms, normally i take one or two rifles, this year i will need to travel with two rifles ( sako and tikka ) and one shot gun ( over and under ) now im trying to find the best way to get them all in one case, need to keep the size and weight down,
    Those are conflicting objectives, of course. I have had several cases which didn't stand up to the abuse of baggage handlers. On one occasion, I saw them drop a rifle case end-on out the back of the plane. The case burst and the muzzle of my .243 impacted the concrete with subsequent damage. The airline's attitude amounted to "so what".

I now have a Storm case (I think it's the 3100). If you travel by air with rifles, it's one of a small number of suitabe cases and the one I would recommend. I bought mine from jptpak.com (UK based) and thorougly reccomend both their price and attitude to the customer. I originally ordered online from a company in Northern Ireland who took the order and billed my credit card but didn't have the case in stock, couldn't get it in time, and then refused to refund my money. The credit card company refunded me and then the NI company had the cheek to come chasing me. Together with five TSA approved locks, mine cost me 225 in September 2008.

The Storm is available in a number of sizes. You could fir two rifles easily if you removed the scopes. My case weighs about 18 lbs empty, and your allowance on many airline is 50lbs per bag. In addition to my rifle, I put my binoculars, range finder, skinning knife, camera plus 20 odd AA batteries, and much else besides and it ends up weighing near 50lbs, which means my other case with all my clothing etc doesn't exceed 50lbs.

Hope this helps.

-JMS

Thanks to all that responded. as i said i alreay have a Peli case, its fantastic. i have now decided to just take the normal 2 rifles with me, my .308 and .375. My peli case is bulky which is the only draw back for traveling by plane along with all other baggage and ideally wanted to find a small sulution. I will be sending the case to a company who can fit a custom fit foam for rifle cases.