Thread: Deer stalking article in the Daily Wail

Deer stalking article in the Daily Wail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ghtering-.html

Thought some of you may be interested.

Red deer in Milton Keynes

In the article there is a photo of a red stag supposedly running around Milton Keynes?

Must be a park escapee??

With so much stalking of a paid nature, how many paying stalkers want to go out in this weather to cull does? They prefer to get their trophy bucks in the summer if they are paying for it. So the numbers expand.
    Too much money in the equation.
    Too many skint farmers trying to increase their income by selling shooting rights because they have been buggered by the supermarkets over meat and dairy prices, who then sell the venison. Nice.

"The only problem with the recently improved venison price is that it makes poaching more attractive - 50,000 deer are poached each year, now that a female gets you 100.

Although poaching helps with bringing down numbers, it also means that many deer are left wounded, shot at night by inexperienced poachers. In the past fortnight, David has had to finish off two deer that have limped around the estate after they fell victim to a bad shot."

The poachers need more practise

With repspect,
    the poachers need culling before the deer do.
    Leaving animals to suffer put's them high on my list for the noose when I'm prime minister, can I count on your votes?
    Buckup

Interesting article, but the writer let's himself down within five lines of starting. Try "downwind, NOT upwind". Stupid boy, go to the back of the class.
    Mark

red stag

is it me
    i thought a 4 legged beast needed more then one leg
    on the ground to walk or run
    dont tell me their kidding us

Quote Originally Posted by buckup
    Interesting article, but the writer let's himself down within five lines of starting. Try "downwind, NOT upwind". Stupid boy, go to the back of the class.
    Mark
    Don't bring me into it

Quote Originally Posted by downwind
    Quote Originally Posted by buckup
    Mark
    Don't bring me into it
    Pass me my size nines, I have cans of worms to kick over.
    Mark

I have to say that I've read worse (more biased) articles about deer and the need for culling.

I'm surprised that a gamekeeper used the word "cruel" in the context of shooting a deer and the writer has a funny impression of what happens outside the influence of gamekeepers but generally it could have been much worse.

Re: red stag

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay
    is it me
    i thought a 4 legged beast needed more then one leg
    on the ground to walk or run
    dont tell me their kidding us
    I'm a bit like JayJay on this, that photo don't look entirely convincing, but it makes a change to get a reasonably balanced article in anything other than the shooting press. As pointed out by paul k, the use of the word "cruel" is totally out of context. Cheers, Pete.