125gr Sierra bullets.

Boarboy

Hi there.

Ive loaded some 125g nosler BTs in 308, that have shot very well on paper, I havent yet taken a deer with them. Ive just bought 100 sierra 125gr bullet heads, as they were cheaper!! Has anyone had any experience of these? Looking for loads with varget. They have a flat base. I was thinking of using these on some reds in scotland?, or should i just load up some 150s??

The 125 gn works like a charm if you can get nice groups with it, have at it. 49.5gn of varget will push them out very nicely in my experience.

I used the Noslers until i changed my rifle and not a lot moved far I can assure you.

Thanks.

I was just wondering about wind drift? How do the 125's deal with the wind, having a lower BC, and being kind of short? I shot some reds up there last year in some pretty horrific winds! That was with the 150's. Also, what are the 125's like at longer ranges? are they a bit more "loopy" than the 150's?? Ive never really tested the two at longer ranges.

When I first got my .308 I used Sierra 125grn 2120 for everything except Reds, but thats only because I never got near to a red, and I can't recall anything running very far.

I also tried them on paper out to 400yds in gusting winds up to 20mph and they held out very well.

I used H4895 then changed to N133. I have had trouble with carbon rings in my .223 from using Varget so I don't use it anymore.

Thanks.

I was just wondering about wind drift? How do the 125's deal with the wind, having a lower BC, and being kind of short? I shot some reds up there last year in some pretty horrific winds! That was with the 150's. Also, what are the 125's like at longer ranges? are they a bit more "loopy" than the 150's?? Ive never really tested the two at longer ranges.

BT's are longer than softpoints and the noslers have boat tails. They are more aerodynamic and I stalked in Blair Atholl in gales and they did the biz,

At normal stalking ranges it is not an issue.

hi the 125 grain sierra good flat shooting round i have shot good sika stags and fallow bucks using them i use n133 and getting 3000fps

Personally I would load some 150 or 165 grainers for the red beesties, may not be strictly necessary but will definitely do the job

I'm using 120gn sierras in my 7mm08 think they are prohunter or some such, they have a flat base and work fine for me.

Shot 3 big stags this year with 125grn nosler bt, did the job as they always do, super bullet!!! Push them with 47grns h4895

Back