Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At what range does windage become an issue?

At what range does windage become an issue?

Let me set the scenario, I'm sat up a high seat and a muntie appears from the wood 200 yds to my left. Its blowing an absolute gale as a direct crosswind to path of the shot. Sitting and watching the animal is slowly getting closer, once at about 100 yds it settle down to some serious feeding. The thought goes through my mind that even though a relatively short range shot with the wind as strong as it is, should I be making allowances?
    The result was I didnt take the shot as when I put the scope on the animal I suddenly realised that even though the high seat was strapped to a 4ft (girth) Oak tree we were all still swaying far too much to, but for the sake of information what considerations/allowances, if any do people think I should have made??

Allowing for wind at 100m is negligible with most heavier calibres so I wouldn't be too concerned with that as long as you can shoot a decent group at that distance on a normal day.

The swaying high seat would be my concern as that adds another element to taking the shot and unless the swaying is very rythmic could be hard to judge when the wind will gust and move the seat next.
    A pat on the back is often just a recce for the knife.

It's unlikely a shot would be blown out of the kill zone at a 100 yards but a lot depends on calibre, bullet BC, bullet weight an speed. For example, last week me and a pal put a target out at 200yrds in quite a strong cross wind. My 6.5/284 moved very little, where as his .308 got blown off a good 2.5"-3".
    Cheers
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5/284matt View Post
    a lot depends on calibre, bullet BC, bullet weight and speed.
    Absolutely right, and there's also individual variation with particular rifle/load combinations. The short answer is: there's no hard and fast rule, it really comes down to knowing your rifle - and in particular knowing the behaviour of your hunting ammunition.

My experience with my own outfit has been that at stalking ranges it generally isn't a significant issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Plex View Post
    Absolutely right, and there's also individual variation with particular rifle/load combinations. The short answer is: there's no hard and fast rule, it really comes down to knowing your rifle - and in particular knowing the behaviour of your hunting ammunition.

My experience with my own outfit has been that at stalking ranges it generally isn't a significant issue.

That sum's it up in a nutshell Z-Plex Knowing how one's Rifle & ammo performs. As most of the deer I shoot are at 80/175 yds.

which is adequate, personally I don't see the point in over excessive range!!!

Rgds, Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 05-01-2012 at 09:54.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Too many variables to answer, i suggest you set up a target at different distance and with varying wind strengths, thats what i did years ago and i was suprised how much a stong wind can alter the poi.
    cheers
    richard

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5/284matt View Post
    a lot depends on calibre, bullet BC, bullet weight an speed
    Especially if it's that wonder-round the .17HMR (as in Hopeless Minors Rifle). It is affected by windage from sparrow farts or butterfly wings flapping. It is particularly bad when taking 600 yard head shots on rats . ( I did put field mice - but they might be protected?)
    Last edited by Eyefor; 05-01-2012 at 11:11.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Plex View Post
    +1. As an example, a 40 mph cross-wind would move a 95-grain bullet from my .243 about 1 1/4 inches at 100 yards. I know this, but I would still check it at the start of the session in the seat, just as I'd range all the principal reference points and take a wind reading. A bit of preparation of this sort never does any harm, though with experience it can no doubt all be judged by eye. Obviously, the vitals of a deer are large enough to accommodate a small amount of wind drift from point of aim. All the same, I always like to "aim small" as this tends to limit the size of any error.

Somebodies has already said it. It's caliber and Bullet BC ( slippy ness through the air) dependant. But at 100-200 yrds I wouldn't worry to much about crosswind iff your shooing .243 upwards unless you can't stand up in.

The Wind effects left and right spread greater at longer range and by longer range I mean 300 upwards plus. For those who are interested there is a book called reading the wind I think which is a good read if your that way inclined.

Jason

Rough rule of thumb I was taught is c1" of drift at 100 yds for every 10mph of windspeed, if the wind is at 90 degrees to the bullet path. 10 mph is not a lot of wind.

If the wind is enough to buffet you, then you are talking 20mph plus - on the scottish hills you can easily have 30 to 40 mph and that can cause problems. Even more so on the lee side of the hill where you get a lot rotating air - imagine the downstream whirlpools bend rocks in a river - and here the wind may well be blowing up or downwards as well as cross ways.

From my own perspective I know that I don't carry a ballistic calculator in my head with detailed information about wind etc, and that I am not that regular a stalker. If its windy - get in close.