Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your driving license could cost you 1000.

Your driving license could cost you 1000.

Have you seen this??

Are you one of the 1.6 million drivers who could be at risk of being fined 1,000 for a driving licence crime they aren't even aware of?

Many millions of us haven't any idea that the photocard attached to our paper licence has an expiry date, and that if we fail to renew it by the deadline we could be liable for a huge fine. In fact, 1.6 million have missed the deadline, and another 2.9 million are at risk.

The law

According to the DVLA, UK drivers are required to update their photo on their photo card driving licence every 10 years and British law requires drivers to do this whether or not they are active drivers.

Sainsbury's car insurance submitted a Freedom of Information request to check how many cards had expired undetected. They found that 1.6 million drivers' photographs have expired on their driving licence and a further 2.9 million must be renewed by the end of 2012. In fact, over the next five years 13 million of us will need to renew our photocards.

Its research found that shockingly one in three had no idea that their licence had expired. A further 10 million people do not know when their driving licence expires and 14% of expired photo card licences have been out of date since 2009 or before.

Consequences

It seems like an unimportant bit of admin, but the consequences could be huge. Having an expired photograph on your driving licence carries a 1,000 fine; it could be enforced by the police under Section 99 (5) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Sainsbury's research found that just 29% of drivers know about the fine. Almost half (41%) of motorists admitted to not knowing the consequences of having an expired photograph on their driving licence.

Ben Tyte, Head of Sainsbury's car insurance said: "The photo card driving licence was introduced in 1998 so it's unsurprising that those issued with a licence around that time may not remember that they need to update their photograph. We would therefore encourage all drivers to check when their photo card was issued and ensure that they arrange to update their photo when required to avoid risking a 1,000 fine.

"Drivers should also remember that their photo card licence serves as more than just a driving licence. Should they intend to use it as a form of identification for other things such as hiring a car or an internal flight, for example, having an out of date photograph could cause problems or delays."
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Basil,

Can't see the problem. Like every other card you carry it has a valid from and expiry date on it.

Firmly down to the driver to renew on time, same as a passport.

Stan

Thanks for the heads up.

just checked mine and I've got 18 months to go - Section 4b on your Licence.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...renew_my_photo

You can renew online provided you have applied for a UK passport within the last 5 years and they can access the info - BIG BROTHER is watching!
    Last edited by Orion; 05-01-2012 at 10:23.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    so mine says

4a 21.09.11 4b 20.09.21 4c DVLA,

is that thr run out date then ??

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Yes bob. 2021 is your run out date.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Stan i think the problem lies in that to many it seems that a driving license is for life whereby the photo isn`t.
    It`ll still cost you 20 for the new license and a fiver to have the photos done.

i still have the old licence and no picture on it, so i assume happy days for me.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    i still have the old licence and no picture on it, so i assume happy days for me.
    Know a guy that still uses the paper licence with his parent's address so that he doesn't get hit for this. He's 56

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    Know a guy that still uses the paper licence with his parent's address so that he doesn't get hit for this. He's 56
    That`s ok if he lives there, if he doesn`t he has to advise DVLA of change of address.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Have you seen this??

Are you one of the 1.6 million drivers who could be at risk of being fined 1,000 for a driving licence crime they aren't even aware of?
    Cheers for the head up Basil, mine expires in June this year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    Having an out of date address also carries a fine of 1000. I almost fell foul to that one!!

Cheers

Ross