what scope for foxing

boar & deer

i am looking at getting a foxing rig this year and was wondering what scope people are using on there foxing rifle i am not looking for anything to expensive on my stalking rifle i use a 3-12x50 ziess duralyt i like it but would like something with a bit diffrent

well depending on what sort of outlay you want to spend how about a mepota or a zeiss conquest

Hi there.
You could keep your eye open for a second hand Night Force but they are still a bit pricey.
Still they seem popular in foxing world.
Best of luck.
Grant.

no one in the uk sells the zeiss conquest, as for a night force scope, i have had 2 and found them oribil monsters under the lamp they are like looking down a furred up drainpipe IMO,

conquest with the rapid z ret or just the plain plex ret, the 4.5/14x44 or 50mm will do you well out past 250 yards in daylight, and about 200 max at night with a good lamp set up.

bob.

or the bigger 6.5/20x50 if you need to go longer in the daylight.

4.5-14x44 is the scope i wanted but finding one is the hard bit no one has them the larger one would be alright but finding one of these the right money is just as hard

4.5-14x44 is the scope i wanted but finding one is the hard bit no one has them the larger one would be alright but finding one of these the right money is just as hard[/QUOT]

i was offered 550 for my 6.5/20x50 rapid z conquest :) but its still sat on my 20 tactical. to me its worth a good bit more, and the 4.5/14x44 or 50 is a cracking we scope i have one on my 243 and my 17hmr.

bob.

Don't overlook the Meopta's, been using an R1R 3-12x56 IR for Foxing for a while now, awesome bit of glass and imo certainly better than its Zeiss Conquest equivalent.

Last edited:
ior is also one to look at. they use the schott glass so offer great optics. they just look ugly and bulky

big thumbs up for the meopta, I also have the 3-12x56 R1 top bit of kit and anyone who knows me will confirm I am the most ham fisted bugger on the planet and its survived all the knock and bumps well.

:(
Don't overlook the Meopta's, been using an R1R 3-12x56 for Foxing for a while now, awesome bit of glass and imo certainly better than its Zeiss Conquest equivalent.

I guess we all prefer different things, but I bought a new Meopta R1 3-12x56 and found it was nowhere near as clear and sharp as my 6.5-20x50 Conquests.
I found it didn't even hang on to the light any better, so I sold it without even bothering to mount it on a rifle. I also can't figure out why the Meopta is so big and heavy when its replacement of the same specification, a Zeiss Victory, was so much more compact.

Last edited:
Save up the cash for another month or two. If you can reach to £900 you can buy an excellent ex demo swarovski from MacLeods for £875-£900, you will never regret spending the money. Spend less on the rifle if necessary, but get the best scope you can. Get something with 16x or 18x at the top end for daylight work, 12x is plenty for night work.

:(

I guess we all prefer different things, but I bought a new Meopta R1 3-12x56 and found it was nowhere near as clear and sharp as my 6.5-20x50 Conquests.
I found it didn't even hang on to the light any better, so I sold it without even bothering to mount it on a rifle. I also can't figure out why the Meopta is so big and heavy when its replacement of the same specification, a Zeiss Victory, was so much more compact.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was comparing it too its equivalent i.e the non illuminated 3-12x56 Zeiss Conquest, which is 2" longer and 4oz heavier than my Illuminated Meopta. Not as good optically for sure. As for the Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 it is one inch longer but weighs the same as my Meopta, more importantly its almost twice the price, but not twice as good optically thats for sure. Ask my mate who sat and looked through mine in comparison to his £1400 worth of spanky new 3-13x56 Victory one evening in our Highseat, his face was a picture when I told him it was half the price of his Zeiss.

Back