Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Butchers On Here, Question Re Skinning/Hanging?

Any Butchers On Here, Question Re Skinning/Hanging?

I have always hung deer in the chill with the skin on, primarily to stop the venison darkening and drying out if there for a few days. It's what I was told to do when I started.

The estate chill temperature runs about 2.5-3, my mates chill sits about 4-5 and my small one at home is a drinks dispenser, and sits at about 4-5 as well.

I sell most of the deer shot to the gamedealer so it's not hanging for very long, couple of days at most. But the stuff I keep for myself is there for 10-12 days normally. I know it is a lot easier pulling the skins off warm but for the reasons already mentioned leave them on.

The question is, is it necessary to leave the skin on if left hanging for this period of time, and are there benefits in actually hanging them with the skin off?

Thanks in advance.

(I looked but could not find this subject already discussed)

At the park we hang for 2 weeks in the skin. nothing dries out and you don't lose all your trim because it has turned to biltong. Deer are easy to skin when warm, then up to a week or so later the skins can be a bugger to remove, but at 12-14 days they get easy to skin again, once the enzymes start breaking down tissues. If you are hanging for 2 weeks you want a clean chiller, running at 1-3 otherwise they start to get a little fur on the inside.

Skin off = drying out, from the surface.

Down to you if you want that.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    but at 12-14 days they get easy to skin again, once the enzymes start breaking down tissues.
    Unless it's a rutting sika stag

I'm 15st Dan and hanging off the buggers it won't even budge if hung for a fortnight!!!

Thanks for the reply though.

You up and running yet????

Obviously, if going to the dealer, then skin stays on.
    If you skin a small beast and hang it for that long in a good chiller with good circulation, it will dry out too much. Moisture is essential in venison as it has no fat for succulence when cooking. Larger animals will be ok and will get a 'marbled' mahogany look which is good in some ways as any bacteria cannot thrive on the dry surface as well as a wet one. It is also a joy to butcher when in this state!
    I do a bit of both for smaller animals! I hang them for a week or so with skin-on to prevent it drying out too much. I then skin it and put it back in the chiller for a day or two. The meat still has plenty of moisture content, but the surface will be dry and therefore much easier to butcher!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Obviously, if going to the dealer, then skin stays on.
    If you skin a small beast and hang it for that long in a good chiller with good circulation, it will dry out too much. Moisture is essential in venison as it has no fat for succulence when cooking. Larger animals will be ok and will get a 'marbled' mahogany look which is good in some ways as any bacteria cannot thrive on the dry surface as well as a wet one. It is also a joy to butcher when in this state!
    I do a bit of both for smaller animals! I hang them for a week or so with skin-on to prevent it drying out too much. I then skin it and put it back in the chiller for a day or two. The meat still has plenty of moisture content, but the surface will be dry and therefore much easier to butcher!
    MS
    I refer mainly to sika, so it is mainly larger deer MS. I keep very few roe for venison by comparison.

I personally like to have them hanging with the skin off, like MS, i like the fact theyre easier to butcher. I also find that the trim goes through the mincer better if its dried a little instead of the slimy thin layers you can get when fresh out of the skin..

I generally dont hang my deer for more than a week and usually only for 48hrs out of the skin to dry off, however, i hung two loins for 15 days as a present for a friend. I have to say that i was apprehensive at the thought of ruining two red loins. I was pleasantly surprised, hung in the chiller at 2-3 degrees for 15 days, they looked amazing, a really nice dark port colour. i cut the end off one and stuck it in the pan, tasted fantastic and melted in the mouth.

Im planning on hanging a haunch for our shoot dinner for 21 days in the same fashion..

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    I personally like to have them hanging with the skin off, like MS, i like the fact theyre easier to butcher. I also find that the trim goes through the mincer better if its dried a little instead of the slimy thin layers you can get when fresh out of the skin..

I generally dont hang my deer for more than a week and usually only for 48hrs out of the skin to dry off, however, i hung two loins for 15 days as a present for a friend. I have to say that i was apprehensive at the thought of ruining two red loins. I was pleasantly surprised, hung in the chiller at 2-3 degrees for 15 days, they looked amazing, a really nice dark port colour. i cut the end off one and stuck it in the pan, tasted fantastic and melted in the mouth.

Im planning on hanging a haunch for our shoot dinner for 21 days in the same fashion..

Did you have to put that picture up at this time of night???!!!

I am about to wake the whole house up with the smell of searing hot olive oil...

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I refer mainly to sika, so it is mainly larger deer MS. I keep very few roe for venison by comparison.
    I'm not sure what your Northern Sika are like, but most of the ones I've shot in Dorset (especially calves) have a good layer of fat on them which prevents them from drying out anyway. Either way, sika are bulky enough to withstand a bit of moisture loss without ruining the end product.
    MS

[QUOTE=jamross65;304614]Unless it's a rutting sika stag

I'm 15st Dan and hanging off the buggers it won't even budge if hung for a fortnight!!!

Thanks for the reply though.

hi brian,

somewhere the old head keeper had a book showing how to skin an Elk using just a golf ball, a bit of rope and a pick up truck (it was an american book!)
    in the intrests of science we tried it but we had no rope so used bailer twine and no elk so we used a muntjac, it took about an hour to remove half a muntie carcass from the top of the log shed whilst HK p*ssed himself laughing and fought with the terriers for the other half.

thank god all this happened pre you tube!

ATB Matt
    “There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at.”
    Johnny Cash