Thread: Roe Buck Hunts???

Roe Buck Hunts???

I'm in the process of trying to organise a guided Roe Buck hunt.
    I will be flying into the UK around August/September.
    I have started making contact with varies guides/estates etc. and reading whatever I can find to get a better understanding of everything involved.
    Wow... there is a lot to learn about these little critters and their history...

I'm looking for any advice that can be offered...
    Any level of experienced hunter is welcome to through 'there 2 cents in'... I would like to hear it all.

One of the biggest problems I'm finding is a website where I can see photos of Bucks with:
    - skull and antler weights
    - antler length/span
    - what medal they are (terrible grammar I know...lol)
    I want to be able to tell the guide what I am after, plus have a basic idea of what I looking at in the field.

Thanks in Advance
    Ben

Firstly best to come here 1st 2 weeks of August or even last 2 weeks of July(depending on weather)hot and humid for the rut,if you come over to the bucks after this time you won't see a lot on the go
    If its medals your after best to come over in April/may in my opinion,makes it easier to see them because the cover is up by August
    As for medals some people shoot roe their whole life and never shoot a medal one,in Scotland I'd go to Fife,aberdeenshire.In England it would be Hampshire,Dorset,Wiltshire or Sussex
    Estimating bucks on the hoof is very difficult as well even if you know your bucks well

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Your on the right site and have plenty time to ask questions . Wolverine is correct in what he says but what he doesn't say is who to go to and that is were the members will help ask if any one can recommend some one that they have been to and had excellent service and good success.

Hi Ben,

Got your Email & will fire off a reply today. Pass on my regards to Reid!

Rgds

IanF
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training,
    DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

Thanks for the replies...

Unfortunately my visit looks to be fixed to start mid-August due to family commitments.

Not expecting to even see a top medal animal, more looking to get a better understanding of what a bigger representative Buck looks like.
    I'm not a real fan of shooting immature animals, I would rather let then go so someone can get then the year after, if you get my drift.

Will do Ian and look forward to your email

cheers
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Swado View Post
    Thanks for the replies...

Unfortunately my visit looks to be fixed to start mid-August due to family commitments.

Not expecting to even see a top medal animal, more looking to get a better understanding of what a bigger representative Buck looks like.
    I'm not a real fan of shooting immature animals, I would rather let then go so someone can get then the year after, if you get my drift.

Will do Ian and look forward to your email

cheers
    Ben
    interestingly here the 'immature' animals, ie. yearling bucks will often make up the majority of the buck cull - those are in fact the most destructive from a tree-fraying perspective. Middle aged animals should be left, as should most of the older animals (except those that are going-back, ill, in poor condition, etc. etc.) Believe it or not, but shooting the bigger animals and trophies is probably the worst thing you can do for deer management purposes, as they kick a lot of the destructive youngsters off their territory therefore reducing the risk of crop and tree damage.

Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Hi Ben,

Got your Email & will fire off a reply today. Pass on my regards to Reid!

Rgds

IanF
    If you want to come to the SW, ^^there's^^ ya man!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    interestingly here the 'immature' animals, ie. yearling bucks will often make up the majority of the buck cull - those are in fact the most destructive from a tree-fraying perspective. Middle aged animals should be left, as should most of the older animals (except those that are going-back, ill, in poor condition, etc. etc.) Believe it or not, but shooting the bigger animals and trophies is probably the worst thing you can do for deer management purposes, as they kick a lot of the destructive youngsters off their territory therefore reducing the risk of crop and tree damage.
    Did not know... great food for thought
    Can you recommend any good reads that can help me understand more!

Quote Originally Posted by Swado View Post
    Did not know... great food for thought
    Can you recommend any good reads that can help me understand more!
    Richard Prior's bible
    Roe deer:management and stalking
    By far the best for just roe deer IMO
    Dominic Griffiths new book is a good read as well
    Last edited by Wolverine; 06-01-2012 at 22:10.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Richard Prior's book sits on my bedside table and I have been reading in it at least once a week for a few years now, the information is excellent and there's a great section which discusses your deer management duties in each month of the year and what you should be focusing on.