Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do's the UK stalker expect from his dog for deer

What do's the UK stalker expect from his dog for deer

What doís the UK stalker expect from his dog for deer?
    As UK stalking has developed its own model and is different from the German,
    Swedish styles of hunting what do people expect from there dog.
    Doís the Uk stalker want a Stalking companion, deer radar and a dog that will track fresh shot deer? Iíve had over 30years of stalking in the UK and if I lived there now I would want the afore mentioned qualities in my dog plus the ability to track a cold scent up to say, 24 hours old
    I canít think of any body here in Sweden that would take a dog stalking with them Mainly as our ďstalkingĒ is mostly confined to the short rifle only roebuck season.
    We have a lot of RTAís to track and there would be a control track for every beast shot at. You donít hear Oh, I think I missed here.
    The Germans have there style of tracking as have the Swedish. While I am all for training my dogs to their fullest potential be they a spaniel or a tracking dog doís the UK tracking dog need to be trained to track a 40 hour track.

Hi Jagare
    I think you have answered your own question with regard to uk stalkers!
    As my dog matures (GWP) I will expect it to accompany me when woodland stalking, hold point when it spots or scents a deer.
    Track any injured deer, and pull down and hold if required.
    I also use mine when rough shooting birds, so will need him to understand what is required of him when out with a rifle.
    We are getting there slowly
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Jagare You just about hit it on the head but i do like my dog to sit and stay while i stalk in the 2 -300 mtr and sit under a high seat for as long as i can sit in it with out complaining. 40 cold scents no my dog dose not need to do them and next day is long enough. But i will train my new do to trail scents just because i want to .

My Labs will walk to heel and indicate deer in front,sit and stay for hours at a time with me completely out of sight if needed,under a high seat for hours as well,crawl alongside me when stalking into a beast if needed,follow a freshly shot beast,follow an old trail,over 24 hrs,or RTA hit deer that are a day old or overnight,over water if required
    They will track the beast,wind the beast however they find as long as they find i'm happy
    Pull down wounded roe,bay wounded red,work on a lead or off it
    On wounded deer they will bay along the trail as well sometimes,normally when they can see the beast
    My youngest one,son of my other 2,is 2 years old in February and he also barks to dead deer,bonus!
    A lot of uk stalkers would say this is what's required of a stalking dog

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I expect mine not to **** where I am going to step in it, don't bite the kids when they pull here about, she's not to do tongue kissing with me when I fall asleep on the sofa with my mouth open and find every deer I stick her on the trail of. And whilst not obligatory if she could look sweet enough when we are out, for girls with low tops to feel the need to bend over and stroke her all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by doghound View Post
    I expect mine not to **** where I am going to step in it, don't bite the kids when they pull here about, she's not to do tongue kissing with me when I fall asleep on the sofa with my mouth open and find every deer I stick her on the trail of. And whilst not obligatory if she could look sweet enough when we are out, for girls with low tops to feel the need to bend over and stroke her all the better.
    ,mine do that to

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by doghound View Post
    And whilst not obligatory if she could look sweet enough when we are out, for girls with low tops to feel the need to bend over and stroke her all the better.
    In that case get an HS, girls find them irresistable but helas I am too old.

Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    In that case get an HS, girls find them irresistable but helas I am too old.
    Never man your not over the hill yet

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

all the ladies like a teckel.....

Quote Originally Posted by northland View Post
    all the ladies like a teckel.....
    You are absolutely right, its just a case of where they like to be teckeled!!