Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: convicted gamekeeper

  1. #1

    convicted gamekeeper

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-16429098

    Surely if you're a gamekeeper you will have tricks up your sleeve to reduce the impact of buzzards rather then kill a protected species!

  2. #2
    I really feel for this guy, as a gamekeeper controlling raptors you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, and I can see the point of view from both sides my wife's family have had generations of gamekeepers, yet my missus loves birds of prey and would at the drop of a hat buy one. Most people stand and watch with admiration if a Sparrow Hawk, Buzzard or similar are flying close. However there must at some point be a limit on how many raptors are allowed to take reared game birds, on the basis that all species produce and multiply to the limits of their food supply the situation can only ever end in tears. A catch and release program or a number reduction is ultimately the only solution otherwise this will only continue with most gamekeepers concerned being more careful not to get caught.

  3. #3
    I was ferreting down that way just recently,, and , apart from a lack of rabbits, I have never seen as many buzzards,, 14 in one field just standing around,, incredible really,, so I can understand the frustration that would make someone consider this course of action,,

  4. #4
    It is a question of managing public opinion. I am sure most country people realise the need to control vermin but at the moment we are not communicating properly to get the message through regarding raptors. Publicity about introduced eagles dsiplacing Golden Eagles is the sort of story which will change the public opinion. Once we see public opinion changing then we can talk about responsible control of all animals and birds which effect an imbalance to other wild life. We have just got to use every opportunity to press the point home.

  5. #5
    poisoning of raptors is illegal so he deserves what he got as far as the sentence goes, he has done no favours for the shooting community

  6. #6
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    I was ferreting down that way just recently,, and , apart from a lack of rabbits, I have never seen as many buzzards,, 14 in one field just standing around,, incredible really,, so I can understand the frustration that would make someone consider this course of action,,
    When we cut arable silage here it's not unusual to see between thirty and forty buzzards on or around the cut field at one time. Davie Whitefield, virtually single-handed, keepered an outstanding pheasant shoot on a very extensive sporting estate within sight of where I live.

    I cannot condone law breaking of any sort but I also find I must decline to comment further on the pressure he was quite evidently under.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    When we cut arable silage here it's not unusual to see between thirty and forty buzzards on or around the cut field at one time. Davie Whitefield, virtually single-handed, keepered an outstanding pheasant shoot on a very extensive sporting estate within sight of where I live.

    I cannot condone law breaking of any sort but I also find I must decline to comment further on the pressure he was quite evidently under.
    I was of the opinion that there was talks last year to allow an open season on buzzards for a month or six weeks.... i cant locate where i saw it but am almost certain it was mentioned on here at some point.
    I do believe that within the next 2/3 years a requirement to cull on welfare issues will arrive, i not for the birds themselves the prey which they live on....

    Cbs.

  8. #8
    buzzards are lazy and would rather feed on carrion or beetles etc, thats why you would see so many in a cut field or ploughed field,

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaran View Post
    buzzards are lazy ,
    sadly i think that this is a myth..... i can assure you that every year our pheasants ( just as lazy ) get hammered..... by mr lazy buzzard

    atb

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaran View Post
    buzzards are lazy and would rather feed on carrion or beetles etc, thats why you would see so many in a cut field or ploughed field,
    Buzzards used to be lazy , but not any nore. I have seen so many buzzards making kills that you would never have thought they were capable of over the last few years. The explosion in numbers seems to have something to do with this. I think the time has come that buzzards need to be controlled in a sensible way,

    Nelson.

Similar Threads

  1. new on hear, gamekeeper/stalker
    By sterling stalker in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 23:59
  2. Gamekeeper DVD
    By Stringer in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 25-03-2009, 12:53
  3. Gamekeeper
    By morena in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 19:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •