Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advised on a 243. heart set on 308

Advised on a 243. heart set on 308

As title suggests, I'm looking to buy and fit my cabinet then they'll be round to check, advised me though that the land I have permission on is only passed for 243, really i was looking to get a 308. Understand the arguments for both, but explained to the guys from the department who appeared very reluctant unless i can get some that has permission for a 308 on it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Joe

is there deer on your ground.if so a 308 should not be a problem

yes, only Muntjac?

dont think your FLO will go for that

you sure theres not fallow aswell wink wink

there certainly would have been but the guy knows the area!!! To be honest, i asked if he'd visited and he explained he'd checked with another office, so hasn't been out there. Think the deal was it has been passed for 243 in the past and doesn't want to make another visit? Is this common? Discussed permit shooting etc with him too but he said, if you can get permission that's PASSED for 308 then we can do it

My experience was to take it very slowly. After lots of years of shotgun use I got my .22rf and was tied to one landowner, vermin only. 5yrs later applied for .243 and 3 landowners deer / fox conditions (passed DSC1 before I bought the .243)
    Next renewal added .17hmr and .308 and an 'open' certificate granted.
    So it did take me a long time and I have gained an awful lot of experience prior to the last grant but I feel it was well worth it.
    I do understand that it should be possible to have the .308 right from the start but this may well depend on your local firearms officer.
    Good luck

Get them back out and ask them why they will pass the land for a 243 but not a 308 if its passed for a deer calibre it should be passed for all deer legal calibres

Confidence plays a part in all shooting and if you want a 308, you will have to nicely ask your FLO the differences in maximum range and lethality that mean one is unsuitable and the other is “safe”!

Take it gently, he is under instruction from his boss so you need to tease it out of him so he realises the position he is defending is illogical………….

Quote Originally Posted by Fowler View Post
    My experience was to take it very slowly. After lots of years of shotgun use I got my .22rf and was tied to one landowner, vermin only. 5yrs later applied for .243 and 3 landowners deer / fox conditions (passed DSC1 before I bought the .243)
    Next renewal added .17hmr and .308 and an 'open' certificate granted.
    So it did take me a long time and I have gained an awful lot of experience prior to the last grant but I feel it was well worth it.
    I do understand that it should be possible to have the .308 right from the start but this may well depend on your local firearms officer.
    Good luck
    +1 Sound Advice