Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper Solvent.

Copper Solvent.

I have been reading the deer stalking handbook, the author says about rifle cleaning, dip the brush in the solvent, & rod the brush back & forth in the barrel 10 times,making sure the brush does not exit the muzzle,in order to protect the crown.

My questions - will the brush not wear away with copper solvent?
    Should you really be pulling a brush against the direction of travel?
    Why not put the copper solvent through on a jag & patch before using the brush in the normal direction

Brass

The brushes are made from brass, which you probably know is n alloy of zinc and copper.

does not seem to be effected by the copper solvent. Buy some forrest foam and a bore snake, sorted.

Thanks Dan, so you fill a clean barrel with foam, leave it overnight & then pull it through with the boresnake to clear the foam out?

I use a nylon brush, but I patch through with a solvent wet patch first.

The brushes I use are bronze and yes the copper solvent does wear them in time. Also reversing a brush in the bore ruins a brush as it forces the bristles onto/into the surface of the bore. I have always run the brush right through then drawn it back. In fact I have a Norma ammunition leaflet that has an article on barrel cleaning and they recommend this method but of course Norma's custom shop know nothing of accuracy and barrel maintenance Oh as I am not involved in BR then I am not bothered how they do things same as I don't bother with the way a F1 team services their cars. They ain't in the same world as I am

I will never use a pull through no matter what fancy name it carries. A good solid rod is what I use. If traveling far I use a hard case and put the rod and some cleaning brushes, jags and patches under the foam of the case and a bottle of P-H 009 in my bag................. sorted .

Hello

Brit my boy,

I would love to see you clean snow out of your rifle half way up glen lyon with your good solid rod in your inside pocket.

I also live in the real world, its just a different one from you.

i enjoy reading your posts you have been busy since December 29, keep up the good work from your armchair.

I am a deerstalker, not a deertalker.

Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan
    Brit my boy,

I would love to see you clean snow out of your rifle half way up glen lyon with your good solid rod in your inside pocket.

I also live in the real world, its just a different one from you.

i enjoy reading your posts you have been busy since December 29, keep up the good work from your armchair.

I am a deerstalker, not a deertalker.
    Oh Ho, You've rumbled him! There are a disproportioate number of experts on this forum, but this quote sheds a bit of light on the matter..

Although I love the rifle is has been singularly unlucky for me and I have never grassed a beast with it
    Now maybe it's just me,but I wouldn't make cabinet space for a rifle that hadn't shot a deer (if legal) & would have dealt with this situation within a matter of months.

On the issue of brush stroke direction,I asked Callum Ferguson when I met him in the autumn,& he said to allow the brush to exit the crown & then pull it back through to the chamber, now he is an expert.

I use patches and only rod one way from breech to muzzle. Any time I've used a brush I have pushed it through and then taken it off at the muzzle before pulling the rod back down, reattatching, then repeating. Probably overdoing it I know but always found a few strokes of a brush with the right solvent is enough to loosen deposits enough to patch them out an hour later.(using a bore guide at all times, of course).

Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by DL

On the issue of brush stroke direction,I asked Callum Ferguson when I met him in the autumn,& he said to allow the brush to exit the crown & then pull it back through to the chamber, now he is an expert.
    Same man said he loves boresnakes, He makes a fortune out of them, changing barrels

Bobags

I am being harsh here,

I also have rods, brushes, jags and copper solvent. Cant remember what is is called but "i needed it" when i bought the rifle.
    I went and looked!! it called hoppes benchrest 9. used it when running in the barrell, all it caused me was grief.

The forest foam was checked out by the american military and is used to clean their toys (if my memory serves me right), leave it overnight and then run a jag though in the morning. (dont want to get my boresnake all messy)and as for bore snakes, there is nothing in them to wreck a barrel from where i am sitting. damn handy in the woods or on the hill though.

each to their own.