Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a purpose built range

Creating a purpose built range

Hi Guys Im after building a purpose built range i have acres of land to make one on but there is no real back stop so i am after creating one but want it done by the book so is there any home office guidance on the hight of the bund what it has to be constructed of and also the position of it from a road or footpath?

Regards Sam

Unless you are going for HO approval, there aren't any regs! Just run the spoil up from flattening 100m and you should have a bund about 5m x 3m depending on how flat (or not) your land is.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

According to my FLO there are very few "ranges" as such because of the restrictions but there are a lot of places where people zero rifles and they dont count as ranges. I would think a soil bank with wings down each side for say 20 mt and as high as you can make it. Beyond that cant help but no doubt someone can.

Mark
    Last edited by stalkinginengland; 07-01-2012 at 19:33.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Sambo you need to obtain a set of range construction notes from the national rifle association if it is to be a properly constructed range that complies with accepted guidance. The MOD no longer approve ranges and haven't done do for some years but there are a couple of competent range inspectors about who can "approve" ranges and can be contacted via the NRA.

Maybe HME on here can shed some light? hes made a range recently....?

I was lucky to have a small ravine/valley at my shooting ground.
    We shoot at 100yds from the top of one bank downhill into the other side bottom from `simulated hi-seats`.
    This increases the safety factor but terrorises the rabbits !
    There are no dwellings or roads behind only a vast area of scrub and heather.
    HWH.

Simulated hi-seat with safety rules attached.
    HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Sambo you need to obtain a set of range construction notes from the national rifle association if it is to be a properly constructed range that complies with accepted guidance.
    What Mike said!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Thats the USA NRA

Build a pipe range can be used an any weather, no noise no neighbour problems totally safe .