Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on the best scope for .243 fox and deer

Trying to decide on the best scope for .243 fox and deer

Hello all am trying to decide on the best scope to put on my .243
    With so many available I thought I'd ask you guys what you would recommend
    Don't want to buy one that's not ideal
    Cheers

Need to be a bit more specific with its intended use, there will be plenty of answers I'm sure but a rough idea of budget and usage will help refine the replys!! I have a Swarovski 8x56 on my 243, but I predominantly use it for foxes in the lamp and the occasional fallow!

Mainly going to be used for roe and occasional fox
    As for budget around £700
    I would guess I need a variable rather than fixed

No! My 8x56 is fine unless you fancy a variable, and one would be in your budget, have shot hares out to nearly 400 with it and foxes at 20, I'm happy with it, nice and basic and excellent quality, you won't go far wrong with one!

Quote Originally Posted by CRUMPY View Post
    No! My 8x56 is fine unless you fancy a variable, and one would be in your budget, have shot hares out to nearly 400 with it and foxes at 20, I'm happy with it, nice and basic and excellent quality, you won't go far wrong with one!
    its more a case of what you fancy,i'd say go variable,you got the extra mag if you need it,with 700 quid you have a good selection to choose from new or second hand.atb swarovski

Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50? Should cover all bases.

Quote Originally Posted by BWH View Post
    Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50? Should cover all bases.
    +1 - This was my final search for a scope on the .243. Great value and tech help from Zeiss when i called for info.

for that budget i highly recommend the leupold vx3 - it is a very capable and quality scope with very good light transfer - especially useful for low light use.

If you can find a second hand Swarovski z6i that would be my first choice, but new they will be out of your budget.

Docter 2.5-10x48. I've been more than impressed with mine. It beats my S&B 8x56 in poor light, even set on 8x mag.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

if it were me then i would be looking at a secondhand schmidt or ziess variable with that sort of money but that said i shoot a lot of foxes with my old 8x56 schmidt but i just wanted a bit more mag for those longer foxes (200yrd plus) so i went up to a 12x schmidt and if im honest im not shooting foxes any further away with the higher mag than what i was with the 8x scope