Up and over

6pointer

Ok so we have our wee dogs out stalking and its time to go over fences at what age do you lads let your wee hounds or other deer dogs jump over high fences. I say this because somewhere else on here i here that BMH could develop hip problem or it could effect there hip score. This is old buck in his prime 12 months old and in the mood.

Have never let our dogs jump fences, too easy to get a leg caught and cause serious damage. I know it takes a little longer but just lift them over and save any heart ache - barbed wire can cause some horrible injuries.

Tom

A trained deer dog should be trained to jump correctly
With my labs,prone to dysplasia as well,i start them off when theyre about a year old on small jumps,ie a couple of feet and by the time they are 2 and fully grown i have them jumping proper fences
The new stock fences with a tight strand of barbed wire on top are dangerous but if your dog is trained to jump properly there normally isn't a problem,it's when they are on a slope going uphill the problem arises
If the dog's confidence to jump is there,6 foot deer fence wont stop them,without getting injured

I certainly will not be lifting Buck over a fence Christ there is risk of real injury but its to me. He cleared fences and 5 bar gates for fun and had plenty to spare. the double fences were a pain but he soon learned.

My BMH will jump a fence no problem. Not taught he just wants over the fence so he jumps. But he will not jump into the back of the landy. I have tried everything but he just refuses. This to me is just part of his character and getting one over on me, it's like him saying "you know I can jump but if you want me in there you are going to have to lift me".

Going by his attitude a Roller would not be good enough for him to travel in.

Over the years i have many athletic dogs in the form of lurchers and GSP and labs all have been trained to jump and had no problem clearing fences and 5 bar gates,on reflection i have more stitch ups caused by barbed wire than anything else....
I have a young lab at the moment who will easily leap into the truck ,but i have never encouraged her to jump a fence, nor will i, she will squeeze through a fence on a retrieve, but will wait for me to put my foot on bottom wire when stalking,i lift her over rylock,but its not such a hardship...

Dave,

you missed an opportunity for a whats this post.
where you have paused that picture it looks like a tiger jumping the fence lol.

I have two labs, one dog one bitch brother and sister, she jumps everything whilst he is a lazy bugger. he would rather go through the fence than over it...
as labs do have joint issues later in life i do tend to find easier ways over fences for them. As tj says its just to easy for a wee accident to occur and believe me if it can it will.

atb f,

Over the years i have many athletic dogs in the form of lurchers and GSP and labs all have been trained to jump and had no problem clearing fences and 5 bar gates,on reflection i have more stitch ups caused by barbed wire than anything else....
I have a young lab at the moment who will easily leap into the truck ,but i have never encouraged her to jump a fence, nor will i, she will squeeze through a fence on a retrieve, but will wait for me to put my foot on bottom wire when stalking,i lift her over rylock,but its not such a hardship...

I tend to open the wires and encourage them through as well but they will all jump if asked.

All my dogs however, have been used to one hand on the loose skin of the scruff, and another grabbing a handful at the rump. lifting with both hands and dropping over the other side.

That's whats great about wee cockers, one handed lifts!

My GWp was able to jump from standing up and through the rear upper glass tailgate of the pick-up if the lower tailgate was left up, without even touching it! I believe in Germany one of the tests for a GWP is to be able to clear a gate carrying a fox? Heard that from someone else who had the breed but not sure...

Ok i will say again i am going to teach her to jump if she rips her Belly she will learn i go over more than a few fences in a stalk and i am lucky enough to shoot a few deer a year. I am not downing the roe bag gun and the rest of my stuff to lift a lazy dog over a 3ft fence. Christ its hard enough to get it on my old back with out doing it 3 or 4 times. i was woundering what age?. I will start her now small jumps for her dinner at first and increase the hight. If her hips go then they were no good anyway and the problem would have came to the front sooner or later.

Training to me is important as i want the dog to be invisable. Hounds can be trained to do normal dog stuff i am sure of it. recall is the one we all look for. Ria on a hare sent.

video

.:oops:

Last edited:
Hi davie,
good to see you back, i start my dogs at about 3 months old by putting a 4 inch bar between their hut and pen and increase the height gradually as they get older,that way they are learning to be natural jumpers clearing a height that is easy for them and not hard on their joints.

Don't know if some breeds are more inclined to jump than others. Our lurcher/staffie cross will jump every time whilst our GWP will go through. Our last GSP was the same.

My BMH will jump a fence no problem. Not taught he just wants over the fence so he jumps. But he will not jump into the back of the landy. I have tried everything but he just refuses. This to me is just part of his character and getting one over on me, it's like him saying "you know I can jump but if you want me in there you are going to have to lift me".

Do you have the tail gate fully down or at 90 degrees? This could be the problem?

Do you have the tail gate fully down or at 90 degrees? This could be the problem?

No tail gate, it's a Defender with back door. Best I can get is for him to place his front paws on the floor but he will just not jump in. Believe me I have done everything to pursuade him but no. I have even tried to get him to jump into my much lower Freelander hoping that he would progress to the Defender. It's his way of taking the p1ss.

Ok i will say again i am going to teach her to jump if she rips her Belly she will learn i go over more than a few fences in a stalk and i am lucky enough to shoot a few deer a year. I am not downing the roe bag gun and the rest of my stuff to lift a lazy dog over a 3ft fence. Christ its hard enough to get it on my old back with out doing it 3 or 4 times. i was woundering what age?. I will start her now small jumps for her dinner at first and increase the hight. If her hips go then they were no good anyway and the problem would have came to the front sooner or later.

Training to me is important as i want the dog to be invisable. Hounds can be trained to do normal dog stuff i am sure of it. recall is the one we all look for. Ria on a hare sent.

video

.:oops:

Davie

See when you get too old to make it over the fence, if you are out with me on my ground I promise to pick you up by the scruff and loose skin about your erse' and 'hoy' you over the fence wi' the dugs'!!!

No tail gate, it's a Defender with back door. Best I can get is for him to place his front paws on the floor but he will just not jump in. Believe me I have done everything to pursuade him but no. I have even tried to get him to jump into my much lower Freelander hoping that he would progress to the Defender. It's his way of taking the p1ss.

You tried throwing food in the back? If he's like my hound he will fly in!

You tried throwing food in the back? If he's like my hound he will fly in!

+1 Gazza,or what about a deer skin or carcass?or blood or offal of some sort from a deer?
All you'll need is his confidence up,to get him started going in
Bet you a bitch in season in there would get him jumping in like a high jumper
You've never had the dog in there and had an accident at all?
As you say he's probably just taking the ****:D

Back