Zeroing High

JRoe

With TJ a couple of weeks ago when he was zeroing his rifle, he reminded me how many people zero a couple of inches high. Personally, like him, I prefer to have it spot on at 100 yards/Metres. Shooting Roe in or near woodland, I'm not doing any long range stuff anyway so I'm happy with that - - what's the general opinions out there ? What are the pros and cons ?

JR

PS - - to pre-empt the comedians out there - - I wonder how long before someone responds by saying "that extra two inches make all the difference !"

I zero bang on at 150yds. To be honest, its pretty much smack on at 100yds too. i think you can argue to pros and cons until the cows come home, but as im slightly anal, i like to know where my rifles POA and POI meet. I think the whole inch high at 100 is completely acceptable but would start querying anything more than 1''.

Happy New year JR!

I have access to a 100 yard club range so this is what I zero at, zeroing an inch or two high I am sure suits many people and I don't think that there is a "right or wrong" answer to this. I just prefer to have some reference point that I know is accurate. atb Tim

I am zeroed 1" high at 100m and with the cheap ammo I use, my ballistic calculator shows that an inch high at 100m is in effect zeroed for 150m. Well that's how it works on paper anyway!

I personally set my rifle to shoot 1" high at 100 yds as this gives me the option to shoot out to 200 yds and still be in the vital kill zone. I can understand people setting up to shoot 1.5" & 2" high at 100 yds as its often easier and more cost effective than trying to zero exactly at say 200 yds, but if you are going to be regularly shooting at these ranges you should well practiced and have the correct scopes,ammo etc to do so as its only fair on your intended quarry .

hi,

personally i have mine set to dead on at 100 yards, i do however shoot out to and past 200 yards regular but just raise my aim by 1 11/2. works for me and thats what matters, if it works for you at an inch high or two at 100 yards then fine. a little practice of your shots will prevent the element of doubt slipping in.

good hunting

f,

most woodland deer are shot within 100 yards , you cant see further , so bang on at 100 would do then learn how much to hold over for 200 yards as you dont realy need to shoot past that . Funny thing is how many folk zero 1 inch high at 100 yards and its bang on at 200 , regaurdless of caliber or bullet weight

Mine are set up bang on at a hundred, drop at two hundred isn't much after two I use the mil dots
Al

had a guy out that told me he had zeroed his .243 bang on at 20 yards the day before... so my polite said 'well that's ok, we'll use my rifle today' :eek:

depends entirely on what you are shooting and how far away it is normally.

1" high at 100yds is the standard hill stalkers zero method as it gives a solid MPBR of 250yds with pretty much any Red deer legal calibre.
I would say if you are zeroing 2" or more high at 100yds then you are anticipating shooting past 250yds and I would want to zero at that range rather than rely on moving my trajectory down range and theoretically estimating drop at 300+

2" high at 100yds on 130gn Norma 270 ammo gives a zero of 250-275yds

Depends where and what I will be shooting. For normal use on deer (fallow and Sika) at home, I zero 1" high at 100 yards, leave me inch low or so at 200 yards, beyond that I have the TDS reticule.

If I am over in England at muntjac, I zero spot on at 100 yards as we are normally in high seats in woods.

The 22/250 is 2cm high at 100 yards and spot on (well a fraction of a cm low) at 200 yards, beyond that and the turrets are set for 250, 350 and 400 yards.

I go straight at 100 yards and then have my Z6i ballistic turret set up for 200/300/400 ... Works out all the drop for you.

I sight my rifle one inch high at 100yds, giving me a zero at ~50 yds and again ~160 yds. So out to 180yds, just point and shoot. For rare occasions requiring a longer shot, I have a 230 yd dot on the ladder. Taking this approach for 40+ years, I have become accustomed to a sight picture (based on 1 inch high at 100yds) and the results I get. Some years ago with a S&B scope I did try to zero at 100yds, but quickly gave that up and got rid of the scope.

When the pressure's on, the fewer things to have to consider the better, in my opinion. Regards JCS

Don't entirely know if this story is true but I heard of a guy whilst doing his level 2 being asked the question "What is your rifle zeroed at?" His reply "an inch high at 100yds" This was pointed out to him as being not the correct answer. I suppose technically his AW was correct and maybe worth remembering.

Back