Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An interesting night

An interesting night

Not sure if this belongs in write ups but here goes.

I went out last night to try a catch up with a couple of foxes.
    I saw 2 but they were both off like a shot once the lamp hit them (lots of dog lads around and the hares and foxes get a bit twitchy)
    The chief kitchen mechanic was with me as my lamper (she is spoiled I know)
    About 1am I decided as the foxes weren't playing to pop a few rabbits.
    9 rabbits later and making our way back I decided to have a look in a field were we often see plenty of rabbits. Its a walking out field rather then popping them out the window so off I go with her indoors staying wrapped up in the truck with the engine running.
    Nice light lithium battery in front of the smock and off I go with my sticks.
    As soon as I reached the edge of the field I could see a couple of rabbits and, in the corner, a couple of cows with what looked to be a bull with them, no worried thinks I this is a 'petting' farm where they take little demons around to show them the cattle. You know the sort of place, belted galloways and the like and a couple of nice friendly highland cattle.
    So, I shot 2 rabbits at about 80 yds into the field. I climb over the barbed wire fence. It did cross my mind that this was all nice new fence and slightly higher than usual my only just being able to get over it.
    As I approached the first rabbit and bent to pick it up I heard a snort behind me. It was what I thought was the bull, no problem thinks I , give it the lamp in the eyes and if it comes any closer a thwack with the sticks should see him off, all bravado these bulls. So I walks over to the second rabbit, about 30 yds on and bends to pick it up. Have you ever heard a bull at about 3yds away giving it the full monty snort and raking the ground? I have! So I gets a good look at this bull. 1 Its big! 2 Its black 3 The horns a curved 4 The horns join together in a MASSIVE central head 5 Its BIG
    6....Its at this point that that all the little clues of the jigsaw came together and rapid sphincter control was needed.
    This isnt a bull in the normal sense at all...its a cape buffalo bull with a female with two young behind her!!!!

I cleared the barbed wire fence at about 30mph (rifle, sticks and 2 rabbits in hand ) with a very pissed off cape stopping only to prove to me what he could have done with that head had he wanted to by ripping up clumps of field behind me.

Back at the van 'did you get any, you look pale', 'yes love, another 2', 'well can we go home now, I'm bored', 'yes love'
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

blimey its amazing how fast you can run and clear obsticles with ease when you have an incentive,atb wayne

Is it true that adrenaline is brown?

limulus you sound like a big girl's blouse to me. You go and grow a set then go back to that field, run at him and show him who's the Daddy! I would love to come and show you how it's done but sadly I'm just too far away. Gutted I am, gutted!
    Last edited by baguio; 08-01-2012 at 16:13.

Having just been back to the field to see the blighters I reckon they are not Cape Buffalo......just ordinary buffalo!
    Here is the big rascal......and I'm sure he remembered me from last night.

Attachment 11473
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

They look like water buffalo. They aren't cape buff. Still not what you need in the dark!

its a debate what moves quicker Tony with a buff behind him or his mrs looking for his life insurance policy

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Not sure if this belongs in write ups but here goes.

I went out last night to try a catch up with a couple of foxes.
    I saw 2 but they were both off like a shot once the lamp hit them (lots of dog lads around and the hares and foxes get a bit twitchy)
    The chief kitchen mechanic was with me as my lamper (she is spoiled I know)
    About 1am I decided as the foxes weren't playing to pop a few rabbits.
    9 rabbits later and making our way back I decided to have a look in a field were we often see plenty of rabbits. Its a walking out field rather then popping them out the window so off I go with her indoors staying wrapped up in the truck with the engine running.
    Nice light lithium battery in front of the smock and off I go with my sticks.
    As soon as I reached the edge of the field I could see a couple of rabbits and, in the corner, a couple of cows with what looked to be a bull with them, no worried thinks I this is a 'petting' farm where they take little demons around to show them the cattle. You know the sort of place, belted galloways and the like and a couple of nice friendly highland cattle.
    So, I shot 2 rabbits at about 80 yds into the field. I climb over the barbed wire fence. It did cross my mind that this was all nice new fence and slightly higher than usual my only just being able to get over it.
    As I approached the first rabbit and bent to pick it up I heard a snort behind me. It was what I thought was the bull, no problem thinks I , give it the lamp in the eyes and if it comes any closer a thwack with the sticks should see him off, all bravado these bulls. So I walks over to the second rabbit, about 30 yds on and bends to pick it up. Have you ever heard a bull at about 3yds away giving it the full monty snort and raking the ground? I have! So I gets a good look at this bull. 1 Its big! 2 Its black 3 The horns a curved 4 The horns join together in a MASSIVE central head 5 Its BIG
    6....Its at this point that that all the little clues of the jigsaw came together and rapid sphincter control was needed.
    This isnt a bull in the normal sense at all...its a cape buffalo bull with a female with two young behind her!!!!

I cleared the barbed wire fence at about 30mph (rifle, sticks and 2 rabbits in hand ) with a very pissed off cape stopping only to prove to me what he could have done with that head had he wanted to by ripping up clumps of field behind me.

Back at the van 'did you get any, you look pale', 'yes love, another 2', 'well can we go home now, I'm bored', 'yes love'
    Nice write up. I am glad you are OK.